Study progression, from grass roots to 70-519 MCPD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am searching for a study progression, from knowing not very much at all about ASP or IIS (primarily being an Apache PHP developer), through to the acquisition of the 70-519 exam and ultimately the MCPD.

Can anyone suggest where I should start? I know I need an MCTS to get to MCPD level, but i'm sure there is a dependency of MCTS that I haven't yet got?

thanks in advance.

Martin

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:26 PM

Answers

• **NOTE: There are no prerequisite exams for the MCTS titles. Just pass each MCTS exam to earn those certitications (before July 31st, 2013.)

You will need to decide if you want to go the VS 2010 MCPD route or the newer VS 2012 MCSD route. Yes - MCPD is being replaced by the classic title, MCSD.

Please note that if you go for the VS 2010/.NET 4.0 web developer exams, all four (4) exams must be completed by July 31st, 2013. Microsoft will no longer grant this certification title after July 31st, 2013 and two of the four exams will no longer be offered.

Here are the MCPD titles with their prerequisite MCTS exams:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

Alternately, you may prefer to earn the newer MCSD web developer title, which only requires three (3) exams:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-mcsd-web-applications.aspx

Not all of the exams are offered quite yet, but they will be soon! I bet you'd feel right at home with the first exam that is available now, 70-480, because it is based on JavaScript, CSS3, and HTML5.

Remember - even if you go the MCPD route, you will still eventually need to upgrade to MCSD. The upgrade path from MCPD Web Developer to MCSD Web Developer will still require two exams. In my experience, I find that the upgrade exams to be quite challenging.

Exam attempts aren't cheap ($150 in the US) and they are time consuming to cram up for and take.

Good luck to you on your decision and your certification endeavors!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You can check microsoft.com/learning for every exam you have to pass and check the preparation materials - classes, books etc. I would recommend to take a look on amazon to get some prepguides for those exams and start coding on your PC to get some handson experience.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:47 PM
  • **NOTE: There are no prerequisite exams for the MCTS titles. Just pass each MCTS exam to earn those certitications (before July 31st, 2013.)

You will need to decide if you want to go the VS 2010 MCPD route or the newer VS 2012 MCSD route. Yes - MCPD is being replaced by the classic title, MCSD.

Please note that if you go for the VS 2010/.NET 4.0 web developer exams, all four (4) exams must be completed by July 31st, 2013. Microsoft will no longer grant this certification title after July 31st, 2013 and two of the four exams will no longer be offered.

Here are the MCPD titles with their prerequisite MCTS exams:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

Alternately, you may prefer to earn the newer MCSD web developer title, which only requires three (3) exams:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-mcsd-web-applications.aspx

Not all of the exams are offered quite yet, but they will be soon! I bet you'd feel right at home with the first exam that is available now, 70-480, because it is based on JavaScript, CSS3, and HTML5.

Remember - even if you go the MCPD route, you will still eventually need to upgrade to MCSD. The upgrade path from MCPD Web Developer to MCSD Web Developer will still require two exams. In my experience, I find that the upgrade exams to be quite challenging.

Exam attempts aren't cheap ($150 in the US) and they are time consuming to cram up for and take.

Good luck to you on your decision and your certification endeavors!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:01 PM
    Answerer