WHS 2011 Lost Registry Values RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently upgraded from WHS V1 to V2 (2011).  I've done the full install twice and applied all updates, added appropriate addins and requried utilities, etc., each time.  This was a long and painful process which both times has ended in complete failure.  Each failure was then followed by hours and hours of debugging, net surfing and frustration.  Worse, I am still not able use WHS V2/2011 for its intended purpose.

Funny (really sad) too becuase I installed WHS V1 way back in 2007 and have run it successully with minium problems until I decided to do the V2 upgrade. 

After resolution of my previous problems that I described and MS solved in post on the Windows 2008 R2 Forum (http://goo.gl/qR4xN) I lost most all of the functionality on my DashBoard (details in the post).  Plus, I checked on my WHS license and it's now "trial" with 24 days left until expiration.  (I purchased WHS of course, have the DVD and product key and have succerssfully activated WHS V2/2011 twice.  Too wierd.  Now I have three tries left according to the message.) 

Plus, My Active Directory Service, the service known as CertSvc, is not running.  The error message is as follows:

Microsoft Activity Directory Certificate Services error

I just rebooted again in hopes that things wiould magically go away.  Yes, I did get different results allright!  NOW I AGAIN HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM THAT OCCURED A FEW HOURS FOLLOWING COMPLETION OF EACH OF MY 2 PREVIOUS FULL INSTALLS:

Activation Status Error

I don't even know where to start at this point.  Can someone help me?  Yes, I realize I have to do yet another complete installation, but WHY (oh why) DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

I very, very, VERY much fear burning another 15-20 hours (after the 40-50 hours I've already spent on this I am embarressed / ashamed to admit) and then have the same problem again...

Rodger

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:03 AM

Answers

• slmgr.vbs is the Windows Software Licensing Management tool. The two switches both query and report on the license information, but one (/dlv) gies more detail. They don't have any effect on the licensing status of the computer they're run on, however, so they're informative/diagnostic, not intended to correct the issue.

As for the addins and other software, while I agree that something like Adobe Reader should (in theory) be completely safe, and that (again in theory) any addin should be fine since Microsoft includes the ability to install them in the first place, in practice the more software you install on your server, the more likely you are to encounter something that's, umm, not quite up to snuff. Keeping a server clean is a key element in keeping it stable over the long haul, in my experience.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:12 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Rodger,

allow me a few questions:

Are date, time and time zone of the server correct?

Did you alter anything in configuration (like enabling roles and features which are not enabled after installation out of the box or changing the workgroup name)?

During or after installation - did you enter the product key? Otherwise activation will fail.

Are there any hints in the event log?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

From the snapshot you provided, it seems that your Windows Home Server 2011 is not activated.

Please run the following command in command prompt with evaluated rights:

slmgr /dli

slmgr /dlv

Also you will get the basic status of the WHS 2011 activation. At the same time, please enter the this command (winver) in the RUN blank.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Olaf,

Thx for your query.  Here are the questions and my answers.  My answers are in full caps.

Are date, time and time zone of the server correct?

YES

Did you alter anything in configuration (like enabling roles and features which are not enabled after installation out of the box or changing the workgroup name)?

THERE IS A POINT WHERE THE INSTALL PROCESS LISTS FEATURES IT HAS ALREADY INSTALLED AND ASKS WHAT OTHER FEATURES SHOULD BE INSTALLED.  i TOOK THIS LITERALLY.  SEEMED SAFE ENOUGH.  (WHY WOULD THE PROCESS ASK OTHERWISE?)  I DON'T SPECIFICALLY RECALL WHAT i INSTALLED DURING THE 2ND INSTALL SO I'VE PASTED IN AT THE BOTTOM OF MY REPLY.

During or after installation - did you enter the product key? Otherwise activation will fail.

YES, I ENTERED DURING THE INSTALL PROCESS AT THE PROPER POINT AND RECEIVED A THANK MESSAGE FROM MS.  AFTER INSTALLATION I GOT A REQUEST TO ACTIVATE ONLINE.  i DID THAT AND RECEIVED ANOTHER THANK YOU MESSAGE FROM MS.

Are there any hints in the event log?

THERE ARE NO CRITIAL ERROS IN THE EVENT LOG. i JUST LOOKED AND THERE ARE 59 (NOT CRITICAL) ERRORS IN THE PAST 24 HOUURS, 35 IN THE LAST HOUR. 22 OF 35 ASSOCIATED WITH "SQLBROWSER" WHICH i THINK MEANS NOTHING. mOST OF THE OTHER 13 ARE ASSOCIATED WITHT HE SERVER CONTROL MANAGER (ERROR IDS 7000 - 7024)

ENABLED ROLES, ROLES ISSUES & ENABLED FEATURES]Enabled Roles

I also the errors screen and the features screen but can't enter here for some reason.  I will send in another reply meassge.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:40 AM
  • James I ran the two SLMGR commands you suggested from an elevated command prompt.  Both provided text output that appeared in Notpad screens.  I've saved and can provide if helpful.  Next I ran the WINVER command.  Below is the dialog box with results that popped up:

It appears I'm activated.  BTW, I became "not Genuine Windows" again over night.  I ran SFC /SCANNOW, rebooted and became "Genuine" again.  No doubt this will happen again tonight. :(

Rodger

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:51 AM
  • HERE ARE THE OTHER TWO SCREENS I PROMISED IN MY PREVIOUS REPLY TO OLAF (FEATURES ENABLED AND ERRORS RELATED TO ROLES):

FEATURES ENABLEDERRORS RELATED TO ROLES

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:02 AM
  • ...  I ran SFC /SCANNOW, rebooted and became "Genuine" again.  No doubt this will happen again tonight. 

I would be somewhat concerned (about malware or hardware issues) if I had this behavior on a machine I was responsible for. The system file checker replaces corrupted system files with clean copies from it's cache; how/why is a system file repeatedly becoming corrupted?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:57 AM
  • I agree that out of context that this would seem to be cause for concern; but you need to consider the entire thread and then I think you'll reach a different conclusion.  This happened twice when the machine O/S was initially loaded from MS DVD.  Then this  "not activated" problem was somewhat and perhaps agruably exastrabated (sp) much later by the fix applied based on direction from the Windows 2008 R2 forum. (See link to that thread at the beginning of this thread.)

Supporting info: The other 2 machines which have been connected on my local net during this "adventure", as well as this machine itself, are definitely malware free.  I run full virus scans every night.  I always have realtime malware checking on.  I have a hardware firewall always in place without open ports (save those that were needed by WHS V1 which I have since removed since WHS V2 is now in my DMZ - this is the only difference in my entire network configuration since the WHS V2 upgrade)  The first time the "not activated" problem came up after my first WHS V2 install I did in fact run internet based scans from a couple different paid virus checking vendors.  They both found nothing. 

Note that I am very selective regarding which websites I view and those emails I open in MS Outlook 2010 (my open email reader).  So anyway, this is not a malware related problem.  I'm certain of that.

I am expecting that I am going to have to rebuild this server FOR THE THIRD TIME when I have the time. As I've said, as this point I would simply like to know why this is happening so I can avoid a repeat experience.  It has been a huge time sink...

Please excuse my inadvertent tone here.  It is not intended.  I apprecreciate your post and have revisited several months of personal history before replying this time. 

Thanks for triggering a revisit too.  I am paranoid about malware. 

Rodger

PS, WHS V2 did in fact become "not genuine" over night again. This is obviously caused by a daily process MS runs within the O/S.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Actually, I did read the whole history in the thread. :)

You miss my main point: how/why is some Windows component that System File Checker can repair/replace becoming corrupted and causing your installation to become non-genuine? This is not Windows Home Server functionality; it's something external to the product, whether it's a driver (note that this should include "in box" drivers, as Microsoft doesn't write most of the hardware drivers distributed with it's operating systems), malware, other software you install, or hardware issues. If it were Windows Home Server functionality, it would be a widespread issue.

What happens if you install Windows Home Server but don't install any "required utilities" or "appropriate addins"?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:36 PM
  • You miss my main point: how/why is some Windows component that System File Checker can repair/replace becoming corrupted and causing your installation to become non-genuine?

What happens if you install Windows Home Server but don't install any "required utilities" or "appropriate addins"?

Ken,

I hear you, but a lot of WHS V2 functionality was gone after I entered the commands listed in the other thread and temporarily got access to my WHS dashboard again.  

"Being genuine" was not the orginal problem either, what caused me to start applying the suggested fixes.  The orginal problem was the system apparently stopped being activated.  It was "genuine", just not "activated". 

I can't answer your 2nd question at this time but installing Adobe PDF reader, etc. seems like a "safe practice" to me.  My thought is that there's nothing running on my machine that is isn't running on milllions of other MS user machines.  As for the WHS addins, they are all pretty mainstream, all purchased, and indeed the WHS product is designed by MS for them to be easily added.  This is a touted product feature and these addins can all be found (download links) on an official MS website.  Anyway, that's why I trusted them.

But regardless and to your point, perhaps the one of above was what caused the problem which has in fact occured and occured twice.  The way to find out obviously is to do the installs next time and not install them right away.  Then see if I'm OK for a couple days and then add them back one by one a couple days apart.  I'll follow the essence of what I think your are suggesting here and do precisely that.

In closing, I think I owe you an apology.   I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't read the threads.  What I should have asked instead was to reconsider the impact of all the commands I'd entered previously, especially "slmgr /dli" and "slmgr /div".  I think slmgr is short for system license manager.  I haven't done my homework on what these commands do yet (I need to do that) but this seems like it might have something to do with the "not genuine" problem. 

Rodger

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:34 AM
  • slmgr.vbs is the Windows Software Licensing Management tool. The two switches both query and report on the license information, but one (/dlv) gies more detail. They don't have any effect on the licensing status of the computer they're run on, however, so they're informative/diagnostic, not intended to correct the issue.

As for the addins and other software, while I agree that something like Adobe Reader should (in theory) be completely safe, and that (again in theory) any addin should be fine since Microsoft includes the ability to install them in the first place, in practice the more software you install on your server, the more likely you are to encounter something that's, umm, not quite up to snuff. Keeping a server clean is a key element in keeping it stable over the long haul, in my experience.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:12 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:55 AM