Incorrect Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i had some problems with my computer so i decided to wipe it and re install windows but i cant find and windows recovery disc amongst all the discs i had with it when i bought it from the shop. i then tried another xp home disc that i had in the house from another pc and installed this fine using the product key from the side of my machine. i am having problems now activatuing my xp now though as it is saying that my product key is incorrect even though i have checked on the side of my machine about 5 times, i need help otherwise my computer is basically useless.

thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:22 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but you should not have used the Windows reinstallation disc that was meant for a different make of computer.  You'll need to contact the manufacturer of your PC and request a Windows reinstallation disc that was meant for your specific computer model.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Anonymous1568,

I understand that you installed Windows XP Home Edition on your computer and Setup accepted the Product Key and you were able to complete installation but now you are having difficulty activating.

This is expected behavior if you used a systembuilder/OEM hologrammed Windows XP to do the installation and the computer you installed it on was a name brand computer such as Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc.  To activate an installation such as this, you have to do a Telephonic Activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:36 AM
  • Good afternon,

Sounds like your situation was sticky. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your laptop. Request the recovery software media so next time you will have all the drivers, software as well as the OS.  Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but you should not have used the Windows reinstallation disc that was meant for a different make of computer.  You'll need to contact the manufacturer of your PC and request a Windows reinstallation disc that was meant for your specific computer model.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Anonymous1568,

I understand that you installed Windows XP Home Edition on your computer and Setup accepted the Product Key and you were able to complete installation but now you are having difficulty activating.

This is expected behavior if you used a systembuilder/OEM hologrammed Windows XP to do the installation and the computer you installed it on was a name brand computer such as Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc.  To activate an installation such as this, you have to do a Telephonic Activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:36 AM
  • Good afternon,

Sounds like your situation was sticky. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your laptop. Request the recovery software media so next time you will have all the drivers, software as well as the OS.  Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:00 PM