Having problem with one of my drives RRS feed

• Question

• OK before i was having some issues i was going through the event log (don't remember why) and kept seeing the following error in the event log every few days:
    The device, \Device\Harddisk2, has a bad block

This drive is only 4 months old: 1.5TB seagate.

I remember trying to find a way to do a low level check on the drive like scandisk. I found out you could do a chkdisk on a drive in windows home server. The only problem being is that this chkdisk requires a drive letter and this drive is part of the dynamic disk array that whs creates and doesn't have a drive letter.

1) So the first question is how do i go about checking this drive. Could i still be ok after i do a disk scan or should i just look to get this drive replaced?

Whats wierd is i don't get any warning to the client from WHS. Seems that clients should report this error to me.

Anyways, i go to actually do a restore last night to a machien from my backups and i actually recieve a two read errors while i'm trying to do a restore.  I get a bunch of the error messages in the event log saying i have a bad block.

2) Ok the next question is i have two of these 1.5TB seagate drives in my system. Does anyone know a easy way to distinguish which drive in my pc thats having the issue. I can disconnect /dev/harddisk2 but since i have two of these identical drives not really sure which one it would be.

thanks,
    Ncage

Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:23 AM

Answers

• OK before i was having some issues i was going through the event log (don't remember why) and kept seeing the following error in the event log every few days:

You might want to check the firmware on that drive.  There were issues with those drives when they first came out.  (Google search "Seagate 1.5 TB drive" and you'll see what I mean.) 

I remember trying to find a way to do a low level check on the drive like scandisk. I found out you could do a chkdisk on a drive in windows home server. The only problem being is that this chkdisk requires a drive letter and this drive is part of the dynamic disk array that whs creates and doesn't have a drive letter.

1) So the first question is how do i go about checking this drive.
    The secondary drives are volume mount points stored inside C:\fs.  You can run chkdsk /or on the entire path (for example, C:\fs\e).  See Ken Warren's FAQ post: How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

Could i still be ok after i do a disk scan or should i just look to get this drive replaced?

I would replace it if it was me.

Whats wierd is i don't get any warning to the client from WHS. Seems that clients should report this error to me.

WHS doesn't report errors through the Console until there has been an error for 4 consecutive days.

Anyways, i go to actually do a restore last night to a machien from my backups and i actually recieve a two read errors while i'm trying to do a restore.  I get a bunch of the error messages in the event log saying i have a bad block.

2) Ok the next question is i have two of these 1.5TB seagate drives in my system. Does anyone know a easy way to distinguish which drive in my pc thats having the issue. I can disconnect /dev/harddisk2 but since i have two of these identical drives not really sure which one it would be.

thanks,
    Ncage
    You will probably have to shut down the server, disconnect one drive, and power it back up to see if you disconnected the correct one.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

You might want to check the firmware on that drive.  There were issues with those drives when they first came out.  (Google search "Seagate 1.5 TB drive" and you'll see what I mean.) 

1) So the first question is how do i go about checking this drive.
    The secondary drives are volume mount points stored inside C:\fs.  You can run chkdsk /or on the entire path (for example, C:\fs\e).  See Ken Warren's FAQ post: How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

Could i still be ok after i do a disk scan or should i just look to get this drive replaced?

I would replace it if it was me.

WHS doesn't report errors through the Console until there has been an error for 4 consecutive days.

thanks,
    Ncage
    You will probably have to shut down the server, disconnect one drive, and power it back up to see if you disconnected the correct one.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Thanks i did have one question but i think i figured it out. Even if you disconnect one drive how to forsure tell if its the right drive you disconnected. Homeserver labels the drives as:
    harddisk0
    harddisk1
    harddisk....

I'm pretty sure if you remove one it will reorder them so i won't know if harddisk2 is the one i removed or not. Lucky i found out about that harddisk add-in. It gives you a guid for each drive. Hopefully i can look at the guid and tell ive disconnencted the right drive.

Thanks for the help,

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Thanks i did have one question but i think i figured it out. Even if you disconnect one drive how to forsure tell if its the right drive you disconnected. Homeserver labels the drives as:
    harddisk0
    harddisk1
    harddisk....

I'm pretty sure if you remove one it will reorder them so i won't know if harddisk2 is the one i removed or not. Lucky i found out about that harddisk add-in. It gives you a guid for each drive. Hopefully i can look at the guid and tell ive disconnencted the right drive.

Thanks for the help,

What harddisk add-in?  The only one I know of is Disk Management (and, to the best of my knowledge, that is really only effective if you've been keeping track of the drives from the start).
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:48 AM