Keep homeserver.com domain w/o WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Sadly I've had to move off WHS 2011 but will badly miss the free dynamic DNS hosting and my Remote Access homeserver.com domain. Is there a way I can keep my WHS domain without running WHS?

I've been pondering this and I figure there must be a scheduled task or something that periodically checks in your server with Microsoft to update your public IP and keep things going. But I don't know if that's the case and what that task looks like. I could always run WHS in a VM and just spin it up periodically so it can check in but I'd rather avoid that if possible due to the overhead of maintaining that VM.

Suggestions?

EDIT: I can see the main gist of my question was unclear. I'm looking not just to keep my domain but also to update the IP Address associated with it without running WHS. In that situation how do I go about providing Microsoft my public IP address whenever my ISP changes it?
    • Edited by JdeFalconr Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The domain name(xx.homeserver.com) you registries is tied to your live account.

Thread - Can my homeserver.com domain name expire with after uninstalling WHS – can be considered as a reference:
    https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/779e15cf-9a64-4067-a7b2-1f2b1cf58dc9/can-my-homeservercom-domain-name-expire-with-after-uninstalling-whs?forum=whssoftware  

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Thanks Eve, I appreciate your response. I can see how I might have been unclear with my question. Even if I can keep that domain how do I go about updating the IP address associated with that hostname without WHS being installed? Previously my understanding was that WHS was the mechanism that updated my public IP address as my ISP changed it. However I no longer run WHS on my network. How do I go about providing Microsoft my public IP address in that situation?
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

There's no way for manually(without WHS) updating the IP address of homeserver.com.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:58 AM