Differences btw Merge replication and Synchronization serv RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like ask some information regarding the synchronization project that i'm working on. I've tested out the sync services on ADO.net and i'm currently in the process of testing wth merge replication synchronize technique.

1. What is the difference between two of them?

2. I'm looking towards web sync, does that mean merge replication with web sync options performs better? ( i did not tested out the sync services through web yet)

3. I understand that sync service for ADO.net are using 3.5 Compact edition, and how do i use SQL server mgmt studio to manage the 3.5 CE databases.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Regards,

Ben

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:21 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, July 23, 2007 4:52 AM

Answers

• Hello Ben,

The difference between ADO.NET sync solutions and merge replication, is that merge is heavy with more features, and has less programming need from user. Sync solutions, are not as capable as merge, and, need user to write triggers/queries/anchors etc... so that, sync can be done. Sync solutions should be faster, since, it is light-weight, and does not need all the processing of the merge replication.

Using 3.5 CE databases using SQL mgmt studio, is straightforward. All you need to do, in the "Connect to server" dialog, Choose "SQL Server Mobile" as the server type.

Thanks

Udaya.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Ben,

The difference between ADO.NET sync solutions and merge replication, is that merge is heavy with more features, and has less programming need from user. Sync solutions, are not as capable as merge, and, need user to write triggers/queries/anchors etc... so that, sync can be done. Sync solutions should be faster, since, it is light-weight, and does not need all the processing of the merge replication.

Using 3.5 CE databases using SQL mgmt studio, is straightforward. All you need to do, in the "Connect to server" dialog, Choose "SQL Server Mobile" as the server type.

Thanks

Udaya.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I tested both technology for synchronization but i found out that merge replication actually perform faster than syncservices. Tested DB size will be around 2mil rec per table. I have few other question to ask here, THanks!

1. I would like to sync data through internet. Merge comes with HTTPS support but sync service do not have. Which one is better in terms of sync through internet?

2. SQLCE 3.5 is not officially released. Is there any diff between 3.5 and 3.1? What if we already implemented 3.1 using merge replication in our system, will it be able to upgrade to 3.5 using the same merge replication?

3. The current application needs to deal with more than 20,000 user. Merge replication can support up to 500 concurrent user. Will it be wise to move on to sync services?

Thank you.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:39 AM
  •  

Hi,

1) You can sync through internet (to some extent) even in sync services. You can use web sync in sync services (which sends the data from client to a proxy as a dataset, but, proxy can sync with a web service using it's own protocol, and return the data back to client). It does not matter what protocol does a proxy use, and what does web service use as a back end (or server side). I think some web sync proxy is available for sync services.

2) You can definitely upgrade the database, though, not automatically. But, I think, after the upgrade, you need to re-initialize the db (for merge). For sync services though, you dont need to do that, I think.

Thanks

Udaya.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:50 AM