Network access for synching RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

First of all im going to apologise if this is posted in the wrong forum(feel free to move it) and secondly im going to apologize for my ignorance. I am really not as knowledgeable on network realated issues as I should be.

I have an application which uses the sync framework to sync data between a my local machine and a server at work. This works fine if im in work and on the network. However if im at home and not connected to the network it doesn't. Which makes perfect sense. I can of course get my change the connection string to point to the server at work and pass in my username and password and provided my home ip address is given access to the network at work this works fine. However this application is eventually going out to a customer with potentially hundreds of people using it. Will ip address's for all these people have to be given access to the server? Many of these people will be on the move regularly as well and will not have a dedicated internet access point who's ip can be added to a server. Last but by no means least to add to the problem they may have very poor internet connections while in remote area's.

Any advice on the best practice for performing network access would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

David

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• rather than having your clients connect to your server directly, have a your clients connect to a WCF service instead and have the WCF service connect to your server. publish the WCF service where you can access it from both work and remotely.

check ou the WCF and n-tier samples on how to go about it.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:29 AM

All replies

• rather than having your clients connect to your server directly, have a your clients connect to a WCF service instead and have the WCF service connect to your server. publish the WCF service where you can access it from both work and remotely.

check ou the WCF and n-tier samples on how to go about it.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Sorry JuneT I just spotted I never marked this as answered. Thanks for your help. :)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:59 PM