Replaced bad drive = Backup failed because the volume is currently missing RRS feed

• Question

• A secondary 500 GB hard drive on my Windows XP Pro system failed and was replaced by a new, larger 1.5 TB drive.  I used the backups from the server to restore that drive and everything is 100% ...

There were two problems.   The first is that Microsoft Office 2003 could no longer send/receive email in Outlook.  A know problem which a "Detect & Repair" promptly remedied.  The second is that the backups no longer work for this machine.

It was failing the automatic backups so I attempted a manual backup from a remote desktop to the console on the home server.  The backup status dialog box shows the progress at 50% and the message:

The backup failed because the volume is currently missing.  The event log on the server contains volume name.

What process should I follow to resolve this?  I tried to configure the backups but it hangs at the screen where it is getting machine informatiion.  The only other thing I could think of was to remove tht computer from the console.  I believe that destroys any of its backups so am not totally fine with that, although if its the only way, I'd deal with it.  What are the ramifications if I remove that computer.  Is adding it back in as simple as reinstalling the client?

Thanks
    -Randy-
    • Edited by randy16randy Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:09 AM spell check
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

• A secondary 500 GB hard drive on my Windows XP Pro system failed and was replaced by a new, larger 1.5 TB drive.  I used the backups from the server to restore that drive and everything is 100% ...

There were two problems.   The first is that Microsoft Office 2003 could no longer send/receive email in Outlook.  A know problem which a "Detect & Repair" promptly remedied.  The second is that the backups no longer work for this machine.

It was failing the automatic backups so I attempted a manual backup from a remote desktop to the console on the home server.  The backup status dialog box shows the progress at 50% and the message:

The backup failed because the volume is currently missing.  The event log on the server contains volume name.

What process should I follow to resolve this?  I tried to configure the backups but it hangs at the screen where it is getting machine informatiion.

That should work.  You should be able to re-configure the backups through the Console.

The only other thing I could think of was to remove tht computer from the console.  I believe that destroys any of its backups

That's correct.

so am not totally fine with that, although if its the only way, I'd deal with it.  What are the ramifications if I remove that computer.  Is adding it back in as simple as reinstalling the client?

Thanks
    -Randy-

Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:58 AM