Microsoft Update & WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I receive the following when I try to update at MS Update: "Software upgrade for some windows components required", "Download & install now", I click, "Updates were unable to be successfully installed Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)", "solution: check your update history for a description", it's not listed.  Following advice from my ISP's WUGNET forum I copied Windows knowlegde base articles ID #883821 & #836941; followed all instructions.  No change in result at Microsoft Update. I tried with Dell support. No help. Last updates were done on April 13th & 25th 2006.  I downloaded the windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (v1.5.0530.2). It states: Genuine Validation Status: Genuine; Download Center Code failed to get code Error:0x80072ee7. I looked at every file listed in the "etc" file. There are no listings referring to either microsoft or windows update.  I bought a Dell E510 PC in March 2006. It's a OEM SLP version of Windows XP MCE 2005 which came with the Dell PC.  In the "security center" (under control pannel) the Automatic Updates section is completely "greyed"out so that I can't make changes to it's settings.  What can I do ???  I may have to for go ever using "Update" ever again...???   Exhausted (:

Can you help me please ???

Thank you for your consideration & patience in this mater :)

Respectfully,

jwc21061

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:40 PM

Answers

• jwc:

can you paste the diagnostics tool output here?

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:47 PM

All replies

• Log on as the Adminstrator, then revisit the Windows Update web site.

Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp

Also, the contents of your DataStore folder may be the problem.

1. Delete the contents of the DataStore folder.

2. Click Start.

3. Choose Run.

4. In the Run box, type: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

5. Click OK.

6. Open the DataStore folder.

7. Delete all contents of the DataStore folder.

8. Close the window.

9. Reboot and revisit the Windows Update web site.

How to troubleshoot Windows Update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602/en-us  

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:05 PM
  • jwc:

can you paste the diagnostics tool output here?

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:47 PM