Windows 7 Build 7600 This is not a genuine copy RRS feed

• Question

• A little history; I am working on a lap top for a friend. They started getting this message two or three weeks ago. I am told that it was bought from Dell. So assuming no one else has worked on it, a genuine copy of Windows should be on it. I have found that it is 64 bit OS. At first I could only get in through "Safe Mode". After deleting numerous toolbars, and other unnecessary software (games,etc.), I am able to log on as the user after an extreme delay. I can get to the internet and activation message says there is an error in trying to connect to Activation service.

I feel that they probably got some fake anti-virus program on their laptop, because the McAfee that is on it says it has never been activated. I understand they have had this laptop for nearly a year or so. Attempting to download and install any legimate anti-virus is futile.

I have read on other threads about changing the "token.dat" to "token.bar". After making myself an administrator of the machine, I was able to do this. Then tried the slui.exe, slui.exe 3 and slui.exe 4 commands. I still get an error that the activation service will not run. I have tried changing Product Key by going to Start\Computer right click going to Properties and scrolling down to the Window Activation area. Windows status is unavailable; no link to change product key.

I am to the point of just starting with a new install. The problem is they no longer know where the disc is. Is there a way that I can download 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium (what is on the machine now) and use the Product Key that is on the laptop?

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:15 AM

Answers

• I advise you not to get overinvolved in another person's problems, and certainly not to the point of re-installing the operating system.  The appropriate approach is to use Dell's support resources. 

As far as McAfee not having been activated, that would be normal since many new computers ship with trialware that the user never purchases.  If another anti-virus program is not running then I suggest you use a couple of free online antivirus scanners to ensure that there is no malware active on the computer before doing anything else.  Search online for "online virus scanners" and take your pick.

As far as disks, manufacturer's do not provide them anymore.  Check for a recovery partition or advise the owner to purchase the recovery media from Dell. 

If you do download a Windows 7 disk image, do a repair install (a.k.a. upgrade in place) and not a re-installation.

Follow TB19's instructions if you want further information here. 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:06 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Post an MGADiag Report and we will have a look.

Not sure if you have ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or not, but if you didn't I would recommend you to download it, check for updates & run a scan. Don't activate the trial realtime protection.

1. Download MGADiag.exe & save it to your desktop.

2. Run it & click the continue button. Wait a few seconds.

3. Click the copy button, right click and paste the full report given in your next reply.

• Edited by tb19 Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:44 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:42 AM
  • tb19, I used the Dell Service Tag # and ran it through the Support site on Dell. I was trying to find out the configuration that it was when sold. Thinking that if it was XP then someone made an upgrade and possibly was not a legal copy. Dell comes back that the Service Tag was for a laptop sold for use outside of the US. I am working on your suggestions but have not had good success. The laptop did not allow for downloads. Downloading to another computer and will try to use a memory stick to transfer the files. Would it be possible because of the software being setup for outside the US, that the issues have risen their ugly heads?
    Kirk M. Spruiell
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:17 PM
  • I advise you not to get overinvolved in another person's problems, and certainly not to the point of re-installing the operating system.  The appropriate approach is to use Dell's support resources. 

As far as McAfee not having been activated, that would be normal since many new computers ship with trialware that the user never purchases.  If another anti-virus program is not running then I suggest you use a couple of free online antivirus scanners to ensure that there is no malware active on the computer before doing anything else.  Search online for "online virus scanners" and take your pick.

As far as disks, manufacturer's do not provide them anymore.  Check for a recovery partition or advise the owner to purchase the recovery media from Dell. 

If you do download a Windows 7 disk image, do a repair install (a.k.a. upgrade in place) and not a re-installation.

Follow TB19's instructions if you want further information here. 

Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, it might be Geo locked.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:03 PM