using homeserver.com with Windows 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Now that we know that WHS is going away, is it possible to transfer the custom domain @.homeserver.com to a Windows Server Essentials 2012 or will we lose it? I want to keep that domain when I replace whs with a new server. 

Always Beta, why no final?

Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:19 PM

All replies

• WHS2011 is not going away any time soon unless you choose to change. Server 2012 uses xxxx.remotewebaccess.com.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Can we still continue to use the .homeserver.com address?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Can we still continue to use the .homeserver.com address?
    As long as you're running Windows Home Server, yes. When you switch to Windows Server 2012 Essentials (if you do) I'm pretty sure you will no longer be able to use the homeserver.com address

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:16 AM
  • If you have a license of WHS, which is not bound to any special hardware, you could install that version in a virtual machine and use this as basis to keep the homeserver.com domain registered.

Of course with all the hassles (i.e. patch management, having to disable automatic router configuration by this machine etc.).

And nobody can tell, how long after expired support for the product the domain will still be maintained by Microsoft.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:54 PM