Build 6000. this copy of windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have a bit of a nightmare story.

My brother in-law installed windows messenger on his vista system, which led to a BSOD. His system was completely unuseable. For some reason there were no valid restore points on his system (Whether the fail corrupted his harddrive, not sure).

Since a Vista installation CD was not included with his computer and the restore cd you can get off the net was not usefull, i Downloaded a copy of Vista from MSDN and re-installed Vista with his valid licence key. job done!

For about a month everything was fine and it updating. But now he get's this error saying "The windows product key [Product Key] the window home product key is invalid for ... Build 6000. this copy of windows is not genuine" and then his computer completely locks down. i am thinking becuase he had a OEM licence and the Vista i downloaded from MSDN is not...

Is there anything i can do? (Get i copy of Vista that would be valid for is licence key)

I was thinking of getting him a Upgrade version of Windows 7, but i know this wouldn't get around his licence problem and i don't want to buy a full windows 7 version if i don't have to.

Thanks for any help

The haggis
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi haggis,

Yes, if the Vista that your brother in-law had came with the computer (pre-installed) then it was OEM and the Software from the MSDN Download site is designated as Retail. Retail software will not accept OEM Keys. 

Most Likely what is occuring is that during install, the Retail version of Vista wouldn't accept the OEM version Key. However, Vista does allow users to install without using a Product Key (called a Keyless Install) it basically functions as a 30 day free Trial .  Since you are unable to Activate a Keyless Install, after 30 days, Vista goes into Non-Genuine Mode.

You have a few options:

1) While Manufacturers are required to include some sort of reinstall or reimage software with thier computers (known as Recovery software), they seldom put it on a seperate CD or DVD anymore.  Instead, most manufacturers include the recovery software on a hidden pertition on the computer's hard drive and then provide instruction on how to burn a disk from the partition or reinstall using the partition (all manufacturers do it different so if may be different on your brother's computer).  

So, if you did a clean install with the MSDN Vista, you most likely blow out the hidden partition and if your brother didn't create a recovery CD (or whatever that manufacturer's instuctions for recover were) then contacting the computer's Manufacturer for replacment software is one option to get back to a Genuine Vista install.

2) There are some websites that offer downloadable copies of manufacturer's recovery software.  However, due to policy I can't provide links to such websites nor can I give any guarantees that the software is safe.

3) If you know anyone with a computer from the same manufacturer, you may try using thier recovery software.

4)  Or you could, as you mentioned, get a Upgrade copy of Windows 7.  This is a great option (I love Win 7 and not just because I work here) however, I do want you to know some of the drawbacks of Upgrade software.  To install Upgrade copy of Windows: 

a) There must be a lower version of Windows (that qualifies for upgrade) already installed on the computer.  If some time in the future you need to reinstall the Upgrade version of Windows 7, you must first install the older copy of Windows first, then perform the upgrade.

b) The Upgrade software must be installed using the Upgrade Install method.  If you do a Clean Install using the Upgrade Windows, it will overwrite the older Windows and when it's time to enter the Upgrade Window's Product Key, it will not be able to see the older Windows and the key will be rejected with the error "This key is only good for Upgrade".

5) Buy a Full version of Windows 7

Option 1) is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get your brother's already licensed copy of Vista back.

Option 5) is probably the most 'hassle free' way of getting Windows 7   

Hope that helps,
    Darin

Monday, October 26, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi haggis,

Yes, if the Vista that your brother in-law had came with the computer (pre-installed) then it was OEM and the Software from the MSDN Download site is designated as Retail. Retail software will not accept OEM Keys. 

Most Likely what is occuring is that during install, the Retail version of Vista wouldn't accept the OEM version Key. However, Vista does allow users to install without using a Product Key (called a Keyless Install) it basically functions as a 30 day free Trial .  Since you are unable to Activate a Keyless Install, after 30 days, Vista goes into Non-Genuine Mode.

You have a few options:

1) While Manufacturers are required to include some sort of reinstall or reimage software with thier computers (known as Recovery software), they seldom put it on a seperate CD or DVD anymore.  Instead, most manufacturers include the recovery software on a hidden pertition on the computer's hard drive and then provide instruction on how to burn a disk from the partition or reinstall using the partition (all manufacturers do it different so if may be different on your brother's computer).  

So, if you did a clean install with the MSDN Vista, you most likely blow out the hidden partition and if your brother didn't create a recovery CD (or whatever that manufacturer's instuctions for recover were) then contacting the computer's Manufacturer for replacment software is one option to get back to a Genuine Vista install.

2) There are some websites that offer downloadable copies of manufacturer's recovery software.  However, due to policy I can't provide links to such websites nor can I give any guarantees that the software is safe.

3) If you know anyone with a computer from the same manufacturer, you may try using thier recovery software.

4)  Or you could, as you mentioned, get a Upgrade copy of Windows 7.  This is a great option (I love Win 7 and not just because I work here) however, I do want you to know some of the drawbacks of Upgrade software.  To install Upgrade copy of Windows: 

a) There must be a lower version of Windows (that qualifies for upgrade) already installed on the computer.  If some time in the future you need to reinstall the Upgrade version of Windows 7, you must first install the older copy of Windows first, then perform the upgrade.

b) The Upgrade software must be installed using the Upgrade Install method.  If you do a Clean Install using the Upgrade Windows, it will overwrite the older Windows and when it's time to enter the Upgrade Window's Product Key, it will not be able to see the older Windows and the key will be rejected with the error "This key is only good for Upgrade".

5) Buy a Full version of Windows 7

Option 1) is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get your brother's already licensed copy of Vista back.

Option 5) is probably the most 'hassle free' way of getting Windows 7   

Hope that helps,
    Darin

Monday, October 26, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Hello,

Okay, so i have a similar situation to haggis except for the fact that i didn't re-download my vista from a third-party website. My model laptop had issues and was sent it for free repair and when i got it back the recovery was unsuccessful but the computer worked for a while. However, this summer it said that the vista was invalid and i haven't gotten around to fixing it until now because i need it for school. I've tried to check for the genuine-ness? of my vista but after going through the steps it says that its unable to tell if its valid or not. So since my vista  factory re-installed i dont understand why it isnt working.

Please help.

thanks,
    kyle
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:46 AM