Sync and Replication RRS feed

• Question

• I'm implementing distributed deployment with DB servers in couple of geographies. I also have sync services for ADO. We are planning to do merge replication across SQL DB's and wanted to know whether it will affect the sync process. I know that there are some considerations that we might have to consider like setting the range for identity columns (assuming that PK is INT) in different geographies. Becoz, while replicating SQL DB's, having the same PK will affect the merge process. Anyway that could be posted in SQL forums. Also, if timestamp columns are replicated, we would end up in Sync not recognizing additional records and all data might not be downloaded to clients (SDF's).
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:24 AM

All replies

• are you using custom tracking on your server or using the built-in sql server change tracking?
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:54 AM
  • I'm using custom tracking.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • assuming you're using triggers, its just a case of having multiple triggers fire for the same action, one for replication and one for your custom tracking.

afaik, timestamps are database specific and as far as i remember, in merge replication, the timestamp values are regenerated at the subscriber.

Monday, January 23, 2012 12:58 AM
  • I don't use triggers either. But timestamps are database specific is what i too know. This means, during replication process, i have to omit the timestamp columns so that for the other db servers this would be new record and sync would download it to the local store.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:07 AM
  • actually , replication will not replicate the timestamp value. but yes, you can just omit the column from replication.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:20 AM