Name Resolution failed RRS feed

• Question

• I am really hoping that someone will have some leads for me! I've been reading through posts here and on we got served for hours and have not yet resolved my issue.

My laptops are connected to my server (e.g., they run the backup procedure, and the system tray icon is green), but none of the latops connect to the Windows Home Server console, and my squeezebox also does not connect to the server.

I am able to remote desktop to the server using the server's IP address, but am not able to do so using the server's name. I am able to access the Windows Home Server console from a desktop that is wired to the router, which is wired to the server.

Here is more detailed info:

- DIR-655 router (connected to cable modem) - had been using firmware 1.11 the whole time, but I upgraded to 1.21 today in case it would help (it didn't help).

Wired from the DIR-655
    - HP Mediasmart 475 (power pack 2)
    - Desktop running XP home

Wired from the HP Mediasmart
    - Printer (has stopped functioning for the wireless latops)

Wirelessly connected to DIR-655
    - XP professional laptops (internet connection functions, but unable to access Windows Home Server console)
    - Squeezebox duet (runs off of the server, has stopped functioning)

But, instead of focusing on all of those problems, you could just focus on the wireless latops not being able to access the server name.

I have been using this setup successfully for a year or so. For some reason, it stopped working today. I am not aware of any reason this happened. I added no new software or hardware to anything on the system.

Information I've Gathered

- I've run the Connector Troubleshooter, and Name Resolution fails. In addition, all the Windows Home Server Connector Tests fail. Here's the output it gives me for just Name Resolution:

Resolve Server name...

0 servers found by the UPnP protocol.

Ping server by Name...
    Ping server fails:
    Error: Cannot ping server.

Ping server by IP from UPnP...
    Server Address:
    Round trip time:
    2ms
    TTL:
    128ms

In my DIR-655 router, I've
    - "reserved" IP addresses in my router (changed back to "dynamic dhcp" when it didn't help
    - added a local domain name (removed when it didn't make a difference)
    - updated firmware (this is the only change to my set-up that I've made in many months)

I've also tried some other advice from forums:
    - discovery.exe works fine from the wireless laptop
    - I ran ipconfig on the server and on one laptop.

ipconfig from the server:

Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-85-AD-E2
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.194
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:00:46 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:00:46 PM

ipconfig from one laptop:

Windows IP Configuration
            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JodyD630
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
            Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Con
    roller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-70-BE-6C-8F
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Netwo
    k Connection
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-8B-95-45
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.197
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:45:39 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:45:39 PM

I'm not sure whether this is a router problem, a whs problem, or some horrible combination. I'd call tech support, but I don't know which company to call!

I will be very grateful for any ideas.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:54 PM

Answers

• Please check if file and printer sharing is enabled for the wireless connection (right click wireless connection, properties).

If enabled check if the windows firewall and/or other firewall installed allow file and printer sharing (NETBIOS ports, UDP137, 138, TCP139, TCP445) on the LOCAL SUBNET.

If all OK it could also be client node type is a problem. Please read KB903267. If this doesn't fix it you can manually set node type in the client registry:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type NodeType, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click NodeType, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1 (b-node, broadcast) , and then click OK. Value = 8 (H-node, hybrid) should also work.

As a workaround you can also add the server name and IP address to the hosts file (Start, run, type C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\HOSTS and hit Enter. Instructions are in the hosts file.

If none of these suggestions fix your problem please post again.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:25 PM

All replies

• I am really hoping that someone will have some leads for me! I've been reading through posts here and on we got served for hours and have not yet resolved my issue.

My laptops are connected to my server (e.g., they run the backup procedure, and the system tray icon is green), but none of the latops connect to the Windows Home Server console, and my squeezebox also does not connect to the server.

I am able to remote desktop to the server using the server's IP address, but am not able to do so using the server's name. I am able to access the Windows Home Server console from a desktop that is wired to the router, which is wired to the server.

Here is more detailed info:

- DIR-655 router (connected to cable modem) - had been using firmware 1.11 the whole time, but I upgraded to 1.21 today in case it would help (it didn't help).

Wired from the DIR-655
    - HP Mediasmart 475 (power pack 2)
    - Desktop running XP home

Wired from the HP Mediasmart
    - Printer (has stopped functioning for the wireless latops)

Wirelessly connected to DIR-655
    - XP professional laptops (internet connection functions, but unable to access Windows Home Server console)
    - Squeezebox duet (runs off of the server, has stopped functioning)

But, instead of focusing on all of those problems, you could just focus on the wireless latops not being able to access the server name.

I have been using this setup successfully for a year or so. For some reason, it stopped working today. I am not aware of any reason this happened. I added no new software or hardware to anything on the system.

Information I've Gathered

- I've run the Connector Troubleshooter, and Name Resolution fails. In addition, all the Windows Home Server Connector Tests fail. Here's the output it gives me for just Name Resolution:

Resolve Server name...

0 servers found by the UPnP protocol.

Ping server by Name...
    Ping server fails:
    Error: Cannot ping server.

Ping server by IP from UPnP...
    Server Address:
    Round trip time:
    2ms
    TTL:
    128ms

In my DIR-655 router, I've
    - "reserved" IP addresses in my router (changed back to "dynamic dhcp" when it didn't help
    - added a local domain name (removed when it didn't make a difference)
    - updated firmware (this is the only change to my set-up that I've made in many months)

I've also tried some other advice from forums:
    - discovery.exe works fine from the wireless laptop
    - I ran ipconfig on the server and on one laptop.

ipconfig from the server:

Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-85-AD-E2
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.194
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:00:46 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:00:46 PM

ipconfig from one laptop:

Windows IP Configuration
            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JodyD630
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
            Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Con
    roller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-70-BE-6C-8F
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Netwo
    k Connection
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-8B-95-45
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.197
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:45:39 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:45:39 PM

I'm not sure whether this is a router problem, a whs problem, or some horrible combination. I'd call tech support, but I don't know which company to call!

I will be very grateful for any ideas.

What happens if you disconnect your external connection (unplug the cable between the router and modem)?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:43 AM
  • What happens if you disconnect your external connection (unplug the cable between the router and modem)?

The ethernet cord going from the cable modem to the wireless router is the only way that the router is connected to cable internet, so I don't think that connection is optional.

My set up is cable outlet > cable modem > wireless router > wired to desktop, server, powerline ethernet for netflix, vonage router; wireless to laptops

My internet connection and home network is fine.

The only problem is that the name SERVER doesn't work for accessing the server anymore. Only the server IP address works. I would love any tips. Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Please check if file and printer sharing is enabled for the wireless connection (right click wireless connection, properties).

If enabled check if the windows firewall and/or other firewall installed allow file and printer sharing (NETBIOS ports, UDP137, 138, TCP139, TCP445) on the LOCAL SUBNET.

If all OK it could also be client node type is a problem. Please read KB903267. If this doesn't fix it you can manually set node type in the client registry:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type NodeType, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click NodeType, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1 (b-node, broadcast) , and then click OK. Value = 8 (H-node, hybrid) should also work.

As a workaround you can also add the server name and IP address to the hosts file (Start, run, type C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\HOSTS and hit Enter. Instructions are in the hosts file.

If none of these suggestions fix your problem please post again.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:25 PM
  • If enabled check if the windows firewall and/or other firewall installed allow file and printer sharing (NETBIOS ports, UDP137, 138, TCP139, TCP445) on the LOCAL SUBNET.
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. Can someone help me know how to check those things on Windows XP? Thanks for the help! (Is it worth checking this even though I've tried turning the firewall OFF, and when I do that there is still the same problem?)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:05 PM
  • For Windows firewall:

Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click appropriate connection (wireless), Properties, Advanced Tab, Click Settings, Exceptions Tab, "File and Printer Sharing" should be ticked, Select "File and Printer Sharing", click Edit, now you check ports and change scope.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:17 PM
  • If all OK it could also be client node type is a problem. Please read KB903267.

Brubber, you are my hero!  I followed that link and ran the wizard and my laptop opens the Windows Home Server console. My squeezebox duet works again (at least I see it is connected to the server again), even though that is not connected to my laptop (they both are connected to the server). My printer works again via wireless from the laptop (the printer is wired to the server).

I had to leave town, but when I get back I will confirm that the other laptop works too; if it doesn't I'll try the same strategy on that one.

I am so relieved. Thank you so much!

I am perfectly happy NOT understanding if needed, but I'm curious why this was necessary, when everything with my set up had been working fine for many months. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

I'm really grateful for the solution!
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:12 PM
  • If enabled check if the windows firewall and/or other firewall installed allow file and printer sharing (NETBIOS ports, UDP137, 138, TCP139, TCP445) on the LOCAL SUBNET.

For Windows firewall:

Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click appropriate connection (wireless), Properties, Advanced Tab, Click Settings, Exceptions Tab, "File and Printer Sharing" should be ticked, Select "File and Printer Sharing", click Edit, now you check ports and change scope.

Thanks for the excellent directions. In those settings, the following are listed with check marks: TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, UDP 138. That means that a couple from your list are missing: NETBIOS ports, TCP445.

Do you think that is something that I should do something about at this point? Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:27 PM
  • I am perfectly happy NOT understanding if needed, but I'm curious why this was necessary, when everything with my set up had been working fine for many months. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Don't know, probably some driver or other update which caused incorrect setting of client node type or some change in router settings. To figure out what really happened I would need to know a lot more about your network config and this would go well beyond the purpose of this forum. Some background can be found in KB119493. With that info you may able to figure it out for yourself.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:39 AM

For Windows firewall:

Thanks for the excellent directions. In those settings, the following are listed with check marks: TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, UDP 138. That means that a couple from your list are missing: NETBIOS ports, TCP445.

Do you think that is something that I should do something about at this point? Thanks!

No need to change anything, also my list is complete. The four ports TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, UDP 138 together are often referred to as NETBIOS ports.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:42 AM