Unexpected Error on Dell Optiplexes - did this happen in SS 1.0 and 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm having the same issue as described in the following posts:

I have tried using Dell Optiplex 620s, 745s and 755s. XP SP2 and SP3, patched and unpatched. I have upgraded all their BIOS to the most recent on the dell site, and also upgraded their ATI video card drivers. I've tried different images and different Microsoft Windows registration/license keys. But EVERY time Guest logs in, I get the "an unexpected error has occured" error. The error only happens after I install Windows SteadyState 2.5, and as soon as I UNINSTALL SteadyState the error goes away. Doesn't seem to matter what configuration options I choose within steadystate either - it occurs anytime it's installed, even if all features are turned off. 

From what I understand, the problem has to do with these Dell Optiplexes. It's really annoying, since I don't have access to any other computer models. 

I'd like to try an older version of SteadyState but I can't seem to FIND one. Does anyone have the version older than 2.5? If so, please point me to where I can find it. I'd rather not run the older software but my only other choice if I don't get this error fixed, is to send these PCs out without any SteadyState protection at all, so you see why I'd rather use an older version if I can. 

Thanks for ANY help or info you can provide!
    Jenny

jennycom at gmail dot com
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jenny, I have uploaded Windows SteadyState 2.0 and you can download it via the following link:

http://cid-4fc3e8fc77f77286.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Setup.zip

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, February 1, 2010 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Jenny,
         Sounds like it could be either the BIOS, one poster said his issue was fixed when he updated his BIOS to A15. If you've done that, I surmise it may be a video card issue. You could try using a different card, or, if the ATI card you're using is not the onboard chip, then try using the onboard chip (usually Intel based, if your Dell models were bought off of State Contract - mine are from NY and they don't offer ATI based onboard chips). See if that helps. Some of my colleagues at another library also use new 755 Optiplexes with Windows XP SP3 and hasn't had any of these issues. Could be a different model ATI card that is the cause, or bad RAM. I have two 755's but run Vista, not XP so this could also be the case.

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jenny, I have uploaded Windows SteadyState 2.0 and you can download it via the following link:

http://cid-4fc3e8fc77f77286.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Setup.zip

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Jenny,
         Sounds like it could be either the BIOS, one poster said his issue was fixed when he updated his BIOS to A15. If you've done that, I surmise it may be a video card issue. You could try using a different card, or, if the ATI card you're using is not the onboard chip, then try using the onboard chip (usually Intel based, if your Dell models were bought off of State Contract - mine are from NY and they don't offer ATI based onboard chips). See if that helps. Some of my colleagues at another library also use new 755 Optiplexes with Windows XP SP3 and hasn't had any of these issues. Could be a different model ATI card that is the cause, or bad RAM. I have two 755's but run Vista, not XP so this could also be the case.

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:59 PM