How to restore a backup which was created from a RAID0 configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have made a backup from my Vista Home Premium 64bit with RAID0 configuration (2 x 750Gb SATA HD). How can I restore my system backup to the same Harddrives. I have to do this because one of my harddisks had an RW error.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    this might work only, if you get 32 Bit Vista drivers for your RAID controller to run with Vista PE.
    Or add another disk to that machine, install Windows on that disk, install the WHS connector software and restore the backup to the RAID, which functions as secondary disk in this scenario.
    This is described in the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.
    Maybe you should learn also, that RAID0 gives only slightly more performance, but seriously increases the risk of a disk failure with total loss of a drive. Especially, since many recovery tools will have also trouble to help in such a situation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:02 PM

• Maybe you should learn also, that RAID0 gives only slightly more performance, but seriously increases the risk of a disk failure with total loss of a drive. Especially, since many recovery tools will have also trouble to help in such a situation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Not too sure I agree with that!!

A pair of Seagate 500GB 16MB Cache 7200.12 in raid vs a 1GB Samssung F1 with 32MB cache....

• Edited by BobC_01 Friday, June 12, 2009 8:57 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:56 PM
  • You do need to put the raid drivers on a USB or floppy and then "Install Drivers" once the WHS Restore CD has booted up OK.

Depends on your motherboard, but my Gigabyte MB has a realtek Lan card which would not load using the 32bit drivers.  I had to download the 64 bit to get it to work.  However, the onboard Intel Raid (ICH10R) worked fine using the iastor.sys drivers.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:15 PM