none
How to set a OEM copy to replace a CD copy RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

I am having some issues with pcs and want to restore them to original settings.  I find out that HP does not send out the HP Restore Plus CD with their pcs anymore and want an extra 10 dollars shipping for the cd, but they said the cd is free.  After arguing my issue with HP, low and behold they had no comment further than they don't come with the cd and if it was under warranty they would ship me the cd. They should have noted this when the pc is opened from the box and not leave it for people to find out when its critically needed. I do have the operating system cd, but it says to load the HP Restore Plus cd to restore XP.

Anyways my issue is: I have a few windows XP cds, but all actual licenses are loaded onto machines already, All pcs have OEM licenses on the case itself.  I want to know how I can use the OEM license key with the XP cd to install Windows XP pro. Or after I have loaded the XP cd with the original license how I can change it to the OEM version so I can get the updates and keep these pcs up to date.  If this is not possible does anyone have the HP Restore Plus cd for compaq dx2250 MT.  All I need is the files loaded onto something like megaupload on a ZIP and I can handle it from there.

Hopefully someone can help me and I can get these pcs back up and running.  I am done dealing with HP and mark them lower than Dell for customer support now. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hello Sharpear,

First, many manufacturers put the recovery data on a hidden recovery partition on the computer's hard disk.  Generally you access the program that runs the recovery either using a special keystroke combination during startup, or by running the manufacturer's recovery program that starts from the Start Menu.  Do you have that?

Also, recently manufacturers have been installing utilities that generate recovery discs from the data on the recovery partition and burn them to blank cd/dvd supplied by the customer.  Do you have that?

If you don't have either of them, do you have a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc for Windows (XP Pro you mentioned) that has "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC" engraved in the upper left quadrant of the holgram?

If so you have all you need.  Insert the disc and restart the computer, choosing to boot from the disc.  Windows setup starts.  Choose the partitioning and formatting options you want and proceed with setup.  When it asks you for the product key, enter the product key from the computer's Certificate of Authenticity (first make sure you match the edition of XP you are installing to the edition of XP listed on the CoA)--do NOT enter the product key from the CoA that came with the disc.  Finish setup.

When it comes time for activation, choose the option to activate by Telephone and not the automatic online activation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Sharpear,

First, many manufacturers put the recovery data on a hidden recovery partition on the computer's hard disk.  Generally you access the program that runs the recovery either using a special keystroke combination during startup, or by running the manufacturer's recovery program that starts from the Start Menu.  Do you have that?

Also, recently manufacturers have been installing utilities that generate recovery discs from the data on the recovery partition and burn them to blank cd/dvd supplied by the customer.  Do you have that?

If you don't have either of them, do you have a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc for Windows (XP Pro you mentioned) that has "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC" engraved in the upper left quadrant of the holgram?

If so you have all you need.  Insert the disc and restart the computer, choosing to boot from the disc.  Windows setup starts.  Choose the partitioning and formatting options you want and proceed with setup.  When it asks you for the product key, enter the product key from the computer's Certificate of Authenticity (first make sure you match the edition of XP you are installing to the edition of XP listed on the CoA)--do NOT enter the product key from the CoA that came with the disc.  Finish setup.

When it comes time for activation, choose the option to activate by Telephone and not the automatic online activation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:54 PM
  • You can use an OEM CD with the license key. The CD is tied to distribution type (OEM, retail, VL) not product key.

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:05 AM