Confused over difference between "storage drives" and "server backup drives" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I've been reading through the forums, but think I have just confused my self further :-)

My current setup is an Aspire H341 with power pack 3 installed. I have 7 terabytes (4 terabytes used, 3 terabytes free) of "storage drive" space using the 4 internal sata drives and 1 external e-sata drive. I also have 7 terabytes of space under "server backup drives" using USB external drives.

I have 1 gig of data that I backup nightly from 2 WIN7 machines to the WHS machine, but my backup drive pool still say 100% free. Shouldnt "backups" be going to the backup pool and not the storage pool? The reason I ask, is I currently don't have file duplication on for my "storage pool" I want ideally to just have my storage pool backed up to the backup pool...is this possible? Is file duplication the best/safest way to ensure data integrity and if so, does it use the backup tool for the duplication? I dont' want to mix my storage drives and my backup drives because of the speed difference of Sata/USB. And ideally having a copy of everything on USB drives that I can unplug and store for safe keeping, would be my primary choice.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I just want to make sure I have everything setup in the fastest (and safest) way...losing one child's Graduation photo's in the past was more then enough to make me want ot have at least 2 of everything :-)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Zed

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

• This is covered in the console help files:

Server storage drives are used for duplication and to expand the server's storage pool. Backup drives are used to back up the shares so you can take a copy of your data off site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Zedhead Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:43 PM