none
Process to post a thread causing migraines for average user.

Question

•  Whoever set up these forum vs. category options are making things too complicated for the average user with the category vs. forum selection.   Only about half the time am I able to find the right combination.

For instance, if there is a selection for "Visual Studio 2010 beta"  Why isn't there one for all the other Visual Studio versions?  Okay, so I select "Visual Studio" category, now I am unable to find any forum option that is dually related to the issue I'm trying to post. 

It is sure to have threads randomly landing in the wrong forums.  Luckily I think I found the right combination for this thread.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

• Looking at your threads, you seem to be doing fine.  You had no trouble finding the WPF, SQL Server Compact and Expression Blend forums to ask on-topic questions.  Spend some time browsing from the main forum page to see what's where.  If you really don't know, use Where's The Forum to ask.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Yeah, but which main forum page?

There is no starting point under which you can find all the forums.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Monday, July 6, 2009 4:03 PM
  • It is for the MSDN "brand".  There are 4 other ones, like social.technet etc. Users get lost all the time, especially since some forums are shared between brands.  Like this one.  Otherwise, not the OP's problem.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Posting a thread should be a quick process.  Should not have to read a bunch of other forums about how/where/what to post every time we have a new thread..  We understand the forced categorization is meant to route questions more properly but it seems to be having quite the opposite effect at times.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:52 PM
  • It is up to you to find the place where the subject experts answer questions.  Your are competing with other users that do take the time to find them.  Those users will get the answer they need.  Expecting an arrangement where you make next to no investment in your question and expect others to give their free time to help you anyway is unrealistic.  Paid support is available, it might suit you better.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 4:45 PM
  • I take the time like anyone else, that's not the issue.  The point I'm making is that trying to figure the perfect combination of category vs. forum makes the process unnecessarily convoluted.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:19 PM
  • I agree with you. I am tech experienced but verrrry confused as to where my question went and how to access replies. Q was how to open ie8 mazimized. Which forum is the right one?
    Warren Harris
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:10 PM
  • As indicated, use the "Where's The Forum" forum to ask where to post.  It's close to the top on the front page.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:29 PM