none
What certification should I start now ? (.NET developer) RRS feed

• Question

• OK so I've decided to pass a new certification exam (last one I sat was 1.1 windows development :)) but am not sure what certification stream I should now be pursuing given that .net 4.0 (VS 2010) seems to be being released exam wise in a month or two. 

I have the study guides for the 2.0 exams - but am concerned that they're outdated and/or they'll expire soon.  So then I'm thinking should I do a 3.5 exam (ie. study for it) or wait until the 4.0 ones are released. 

The aim is to get certified but also learn new skills.  Am currently working with asp.net 3.5 (although lack AJAX knowledge).  My thinking is potentially to do a 3.5 asp.net / web development type exam assuming I'm better off doing this and not waiting for the 4.0 exams/study guides.  

If people think I should do 3.5 - should I sit the web development exam 70-562 or the one listed as a requirement for a few things 70-536?  Though sometimes have trouble memorising all the namespaces so figured 70-562 might be easier to get through quicker.  Not that I'm not looking to learn - but if I could get an exam passed quicker then that would be a bonus :) 

I don't imagine I'd sit many of the 3.5 exams as I'd be keen to get 4.0 certification once that was established.  Hence why I'm looking for recommendations on 1-2 exams that I should sit.

Either this or I wait for the .net 4.0 certifications to come out and just build up my skills/knowledge in the area of wcf and ajax.

Advice greatly appreciated - thanks!

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:16 PM

Answers

• I would go for 3.5 and the at the end of the year go for a update exam. In most cases MS has upgrade exams reflecting the older versions. You feel comfortable in 3.5 so why not sit that one out and give it the best you've got. An exam is not about learning namespaces but about putting the technology to the test. So when you know a namespace is applicable you'll know what namespace to use. Scenarios is the keyword so that's what you are looking at when taking the exam. A logical answer to a question is what they are looking for.

Good luck on taking whatever exam you are about to take and keep us posted on the results ;-)

Maurice

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:39 AM
  • hope this can help you a lot

.NET MCTS Exam

Microsoft study guides http://ms-certification.net/
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:31 AM

All replies

• I would go for 3.5 and the at the end of the year go for a update exam. In most cases MS has upgrade exams reflecting the older versions. You feel comfortable in 3.5 so why not sit that one out and give it the best you've got. An exam is not about learning namespaces but about putting the technology to the test. So when you know a namespace is applicable you'll know what namespace to use. Scenarios is the keyword so that's what you are looking at when taking the exam. A logical answer to a question is what they are looking for.

Good luck on taking whatever exam you are about to take and keep us posted on the results ;-)

Maurice

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:39 AM
  • hope this can help you a lot

.NET MCTS Exam

Microsoft study guides http://ms-certification.net/
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:31 AM