Connector not waking up after Sleep mode (Windows 7) RRS feed

• Question

• I had my computer running Vista Home Premium with an HP WHS.  No problems.  I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium(I upgraded, not clean installed) and find now that the connector icon won't turn green after my computer wakes from sleep mode.  The last few nights the computer did not back up, but last night it did.  I can remote desktop into the server and the shortcut to the shares works without a problem.  If I open the console from with-in the server it shows that the computer is not on, of course it is.  Is this a problem that might be fixed with PP 3?  If I right click the connector icon and open the console it will log into the server, but it still shows the computer as being off.  From a reboot the connector works correctly.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:58 PM

All replies

• I had my computer running Vista Home Premium with an HP WHS.  No problems.  I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium(I upgraded, not clean installed) and find now that the connector icon won't turn green after my computer wakes from sleep mode.  The last few nights the computer did not back up, but last night it did.  I can remote desktop into the server and the shortcut to the shares works without a problem.  If I open the console from with-in the server it shows that the computer is not on, of course it is.  Is this a problem that might be fixed with PP 3?  If I right click the connector icon and open the console it will log into the server, but it still shows the computer as being off.  From a reboot the connector works correctly.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

There are some compatibility updates in PP3 specifically for 7.  As to whether it will fix that specific issue for you, the best way to find out would be to install PP3 beta available through Connect and see if it helps.  Just remember, it's beta (which means you should have everything backed up before installing it).  (If it was me, I would just wait until PP3 hits RTM, but it's up to you.)
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:24 AM
  • KCXLT:

I had the same experience after upgrading my PCs from Vista to Win 7. An alternative solution is proposed by BGood2 in this thread: Win 7 RTM loses WHS connection after sleep . The workaround is to add a scheduled task to restart the WHSConnector service each time the PC resumes from sleep. This has worked reliably for me since the beginning of September.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Thanks, I think I'll wait for the RTM of PP3 before trying that.

I thought I had read that thread but couldn't find it with the search.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Just another update.  I didn't note that this computer has an Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

I just upgraded my wifes computer to Win 7 from Vista and her connector is working fine.  Her network adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Well it might be working now.  When I upgraded to Win 7 I got a list of things that might not be compatible with Win 7.  During the install it wasn't clear to me what to do when the list was shown and I just clicked Next since it was the only choice and the upgrade proceeded.  I thought it would let me back out of the install.  Anyways everything seems to work, iTunes was one of the shown programs, the other was Windows Mobile Device Center.  Last night was the first time I had plugged my Dell Axim in to its USB dock since I did the upgrade.  Everything seems to work for the PDA and a few minutes later I noticed that the connector icon had gone green.  I disabled my AV to see if the icon would react and it did, changing to red and then back to green when the AV was re-enabled.  So today when I woke the computer up the connector icon again turned green after a few minutes.  The PDA had been unplugged before I put the computer to sleep last night.  So I don't know what happened, but it seems to be working again, at least for a day.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Thank you for your speedy reply but I have no idea what PP3 or RTM are.  Would you please explain that for me?  TIA
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:42 PM
  • PP3 = WHS Powerpack 3

RTM = Release to manufacturer, ala the retail release

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:23 AM