Getting False Health Notifications RRS feed

• Question

•  

I seem to have a problem. I am getting a Network Critical Alert that reads

Your HP MediaSmart Server appears to have a Hardware Problem
    The HP MediaSmart Server CPU is Running Too Hot

This is the last in a series of very quick warnings (there is also a fan warning and I think a voltage warning that precede the CPU heat warning.   They flash up very quicly then all returns to normal.  This happens every few seconds. I have checked the temperature, fan speed and voltage being reported through the Health Status and everything is fine as you can see from the attachment which is a Screen Capture that shows the CPU temp and the Critical Message at the same time. I don't see any spikes.

This problem only seems to have started yesterday. I installed the new HP 1.3 Update and the PP1 update a few days before and for a couple of days or so after that everything was still running fine. I'm not sure if it's related, but the last thing I did on the WHS was delete an uninstalled McAfee add-in (TopWHSaddin.msi) that came with the HP Update in a remote session.  I didn't install the McAfee add-in and ignored the warning that resulted after the PP1 update until I decided if I wanted to install it.  I have no idea if the deletion somehow has corrupted a file or maybe since it's now missing a program in WHS that knew it was being ignored can't find it now. I'm clutching at straws.  But that is the last thing I did before I arrived home to the problem  few hours later. 

I am at a loss to explain what's happening. As I said there does not appear to be any problem that I see on the Hardware Status screen.  I think this is a software problem.  I don't think the CPU can be spiking in temperature. Both fans are working fine. The voltage seems fairly stable. A sensor or sensors might be damaged but why don't I see any temperature fluctuations on the Hardware Status screen at all.

Help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I posted to mediasmartserver.net and the owner there suggested that since all the sensors are alarming it's probably either the .ini config file or the HealthMon service having some issue (which files do you think he is talking about?). 

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2024 is a link to my post on the mediasmartserver.net forums and the 2 screen shots.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Richie

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

•  Sir_Richie wrote:

This is the last in a series of very quick warnings (there is also a fan warning and I think a voltage warning that precede the CPU heat warning.   They flash up very quicly then all returns to normal.  This happens every few seconds. I have checked the temperature, fan speed and voltage being reported through the Health Status and everything is fine as you can see from the attachment which is a Screen Capture that shows the CPU temp and the Critical Message at the same time. I don't see any spikes.

This problem only seems to have started yesterday. I installed the new HP 1.3 Update and the PP1 update a few days before and for a couple of days or so after that everything was still running fine. I'm not sure if it's related, but the last thing I did on the WHS was delete an uninstalled McAfee add-in (TopWHSaddin.msi) that came with the HP Update in a remote session.  I didn't install the McAfee add-in and ignored the warning that resulted after the PP1 update until I decided if I wanted to install it.  I have no idea if the deletion somehow has corrupted a file or maybe since it's now missing a program in WHS that knew it was being ignored can't find it now. I'm clutching at straws.  But that is the last thing I did before I arrived home to the problem  few hours later. 

I am at a loss to explain what's happening. As I said there does not appear to be any problem that I see on the Hardware Status screen.  I think this is a software problem.  I don't think the CPU can be spiking in temperature. Both fans are working fine. The voltage seems fairly stable. A sensor or sensors might be damaged but why don't I see any temperature fluctuations on the Hardware Status screen at all.

Help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I posted to mediasmartserver.net and the owner there suggested that since all the sensors are alarming it's probably either the .ini config file or the HealthMon service having some issue (which files do you think he is talking about?). 

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2024 is a link to my post on the mediasmartserver.net forums and the 2 screen shots.

Thanks 

Richie

Hi Richie, I agree with kariya21 in that you should contact HP.

Thank you

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server

Friday, August 8, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Looks like I should have just followed my instinct.  Here is the (totally unhelpful ) HP response..

Hello Richard:

I am sending this email as per our conversation regarding erroneous reporting of the temperature and fan speeds on the MSS.

After discussion with my resources, the supported option is a server recovery of the MSS. Currently, there is no other supported option to resolve the issue, at this time

If you require further information please let me or a member of my team know by calling  1-800-474-6836  (1-800 HP Invent) and at the voice prompt please state "Technical Support" and then "storage" followed by "A HP Media Smart Server" to reach our team.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:41 AM

All replies

•  Sir_Richie wrote:

Thanks 

Richie

I would suggest you contact HP Support.  After all, you paid them for that ability. Smile

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:07 PM
  •  Sir_Richie wrote:

Thanks 

Richie

Hi Richie, I agree with kariya21 in that you should contact HP.

Thank you

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server

Friday, August 8, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Have you seen any messages in the server logs? It might help to narrow it down.

Also, I do know that there was a hardware fault with some of the earlier HP servers, where they would fault to high temperature, when in fact, they were fine. I think it involved a hardware exchange.

Colin

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:13 PM
  • I'm trying to work out whether it's a fault with the HP software or the Windows Home Server software.  I looked at all the Logs and couldn't really see anything that happend around the time I think it started.  I also couldn't see anything happening with the same frequency as the alerts.  They are like clockwork.

I stopped the HP MediaSmart Server Health Monitor service in an RDP session with the server but the notifications did not stop.  So I clearly have no idea which particular service is actually running and producing the Health Notifications in the first place.

I did see reference to an earlier hardware error with a similar sounding problem when I did some research.  It isn't really exactly my problem though.  HP also seemed to stop with the hardware exchange and ended up suggesting it was software related.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:24 PM
  •  Sir_Richie wrote:
    I'm trying to work out whether it's a fault with the HP software or the Windows Home Server software.  I looked at all the Logs and couldn't really see anything that happend around the time I think it started.  I also couldn't see anything happening with the same frequency as the alerts.  They are like clockwork.

I stopped the HP MediaSmart Server Health Monitor service in an RDP session with the server but the notifications did not stop.  So I clearly have no idea which particular service is actually running and producing the Health Notifications in the first place.

I did see reference to an earlier hardware error with a similar sounding problem when I did some research.  It isn't really exactly my problem though.  HP also seemed to stop with the hardware exchange and ended up suggesting it was software related.

Have you contacted HP yet?  No matter how you look at it, it is clearly their responsibility to assist you.  1)  If it's software related, the app that is warning you is an HP app.  MS does not have an app in WHS with that function.  2)  If it's hardware related, your system is under warranty with them.  3)  You paid for their service.

If the CSR you contact on the phone doesn't help you, demand to speak to their supervisor.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:55 PM
  • The problem is getting time to actually ring HP.  I can't e-mail support because there is no e-mal address for support for the HP MediaSmart Server.  There isn't a live chat available for this address either. 

I will probably have to ring them, but as this stage I'm toying with the idea of just doing a complete system restore and applying the PP1 and HP updates on the clean installation.

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Looks like I should have just followed my instinct.  Here is the (totally unhelpful ) HP response..

Hello Richard:

I am sending this email as per our conversation regarding erroneous reporting of the temperature and fan speeds on the MSS.

After discussion with my resources, the supported option is a server recovery of the MSS. Currently, there is no other supported option to resolve the issue, at this time

If you require further information please let me or a member of my team know by calling  1-800-474-6836  (1-800 HP Invent) and at the voice prompt please state "Technical Support" and then "storage" followed by "A HP Media Smart Server" to reach our team.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Its a shame, what the support of some larger companies became.

Server recovery on the MSS means what? Software reinstall? I wonder, what this should bring, if there is indeed something wrong with the results delivered by the sensors of the hardware.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Richie, you should try the server recovery as recommended by HP, because that's their supported option. If that doesn't work, you'll have to call them back, referencing your previous call, and tell them so, then ask for another option. If they say there is no other option, you can press for an exchange of hardware.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance a server recovery will correct the issue, but (unfortunately) you have to work with their support organizaiton to actually get support.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:08 PM