What are required attirbutions RRS feed

• Question

• ..for implementing / integrating the LiveSearch API onto a commercial website; in plain english pls.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:50 AM

Answers

• One of the selling points of our API is that it leaves a lot of freedom to you to do things as you like them for your site rather than mandate everything.

As long as it is reported that the results are from Live Search and that you do not violate the general branding guidelines that the ToU link to (i.e. no defacing and no association of our logo with questionable content/destinations and no suggestion of endorsement), you are free.

Note that there may be changes in the logo - right now a discreet string-based attribution is probably better.

A link would be something we'd really appreciate though

HTH

--Alessandro

Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:48 AM

All replies

• [Big disclaimer: IANAL - this is just a set of comments on the ideas we had whent he ToU were crafted]

This is the literal blurb on the ToU today (emphasis added):

We may include our trademark(s) or logo(s) in Live Search results provided through the services and, if we do so, you will not remove, modify, or interfere with the display or viewing of these trademarks or logos.  Whether we include trademarks or logos or not, you will attribute us as the source of the Live Search results (in the manner that we may specify from time to time in applicable services documentation) and display the "attribution" data field (if a non-blank field is returned as part of the Live Search results).  In any display of trademarks, logos, or attribution, you will comply with the current version of our usage guidelines (which are currently located at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/usage/general.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/usage/windowslive.mspx). 

The idea is that if you are displaying data from Live Search, you are required to say where you got it from.

For the time being we have no mandated way to do this. You can add a link to Live.com (like Facebook does) or you can add the Live Search logo (the logo you should refer to is this one: http://search.live.com/siteowner/s/siteowner/preview_logo.png)

HTH

--Alessandro

Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:45 AM
  • "....you will attribute us as the source of the Live Search results "

i read  that but it is not clear if  you have pernission for a graphic or what text or etc. or even wherer the graphic or text could be found..

..sorry if I am whining here, but MS really buries this stuff...

so as long as on my web site I can attribute with a text citation, no need for active link or logo attribution?

..not important but, can  I shrink the logo from the url you referred?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:12 AM
  • One of the selling points of our API is that it leaves a lot of freedom to you to do things as you like them for your site rather than mandate everything.

As long as it is reported that the results are from Live Search and that you do not violate the general branding guidelines that the ToU link to (i.e. no defacing and no association of our logo with questionable content/destinations and no suggestion of endorsement), you are free.

Note that there may be changes in the logo - right now a discreet string-based attribution is probably better.

A link would be something we'd really appreciate though

HTH

--Alessandro

Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:48 AM
  • ..it's a good program; half a step beyond

the other search engines

...tell MS chiefs it's about time

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:13 AM