Network drivers to restore Windows Server 2008 from WHS into a Hyper-V instance RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Server 2008 running in a 64-bit Hyper-V instance backed up to WHS. Now I would like to restore from a backup. I have created the Restore CD ISO and am creating a new Hyper-V virtual machine which boots off the Restore CD. I have added a legacy network adapter to the virtual instance which gives me a network driver. However, my WHS (192.168.0.20) is not found automatically. Even entering the name of the machine (as it appears in the 'connected devices' page of my NETGEAR router) doesn't find my WHS.

Furthermore, I have created a virtual floppy disc and loaded the drives from WHS as suggested in the help documentation. Still no luck!

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

PHS
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• Try entering the IP address in the name field.

If this fails check for drivers in the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" in a backup of the client.

Please note the restore CD is 32bit WinPE so you will need to provide 32bit driver for the legacy network device, drivers stored in the folder "Windows Home Server for Restore" are probably 64bit.

Put the drivers on a USB flash drive in a folder named "drivers", then you should be able to load them early in the restore process (when the restore cd finds network device and "hdd's" select network device and scan for drivers)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:44 AM
  • When I enter the IP address directly as 192.168.0.20 I immediately get an error tooltip saying: "A network error has occured. Please enter a valid home server name". What's the correct format to use?

I've grabbed some drivers from a backup of a 32-bit virtual machine, but have not put it into a drivers folder on my virtual floppy. I will try that next.

Any chance anyone knows the name of a working network driver for this scenario.

PHS
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:58 PM