An issue of abuse RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue related to abuse in one of the forums. The FAQ states the following:

I have reported abuse but no action has been taken. What can I do?
    If you have not seen any action on your report, and suspect that the Forum 
    is not being actively monitored, you can request action by clicking the
    Contact Us link at the bottom of any Forums page.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate a "Contact Us" link.

I have a question or two I would like to ask, but, because of the sensitive nature of the situation, it would not be appropriate to blurt it out here in public.

Can someone suggest a way to contact the moderator of the forum in question privately, or have him or her contact me? Preferably without publishing personal contact info in this thread?

• Moved by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:40 AM Forum's issue (From:Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:22 AM

Answers

• I am having an issue related to abuse in one of the forums. The FAQ states the following:

I have a question or two I would like to ask, but, because of the sensitive nature of the situation, it would not be appropriate to blurt it out here in public.

Can someone suggest a way to contact the moderator of the forum in question privately, or have him or her contact me? Preferably without publishing personal contact info in this thread?

Regarding the "Contact Us" -- It's at the bottom of the TechNet Home Page. Also Site Feedback is there where you can "file tickets" or request a task to be performed, such as switching your Live ID email: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms376608.aspx

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:28 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:11 PM Forums issue (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    • Merged by Naomi NModerator Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:30 AM Same topic
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Post this question in the "Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums" Forum at the following address

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/suggest/threads

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:34 PM

I initially posted this in the technet website feedback forum, and was referred to this forum.

The issue of the apparently missing "contact Us" is one thing, and perhaps something that could be looked at. But I hope you will appreciate that I don't want to have to wait until that change is made (if it will be) in order to address an issue of more immediate concern regarding the disposition of an apparent instance of abuse in another forum.

So I will reiterate my question again: Can someone suggest a way to contact the moderator of the forum in question privately, or have him or her contact me? Preferably without publishing personal contact info in this thread?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Thanks, I have taken your advice.

But I hope you will appreciate that I don't want to have to wait until the apparently missing "contact us" link is restored (if it will be) in order to address an issue of more timely concern to me regarding the disposition of an apparent instance of abuse in another forum.

I'm still open to suggestions as to how that issue can best be addressed.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:37 AM
  • See e-mails in this thread  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/046e7afd-c765-45d3-a310-630f1a06acc1 of the forum's moderators.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:46 AM
  •  

Al, I'm sure you're referring to Mike's thread.    It was me.  I tagged your post abusive.  You trolled both of his threads.  Yes you did.

It was the latter thread where I had actually hit the Abusive button:  How to order files and folders in Documents Library

But that was only after you had stalked him from his first thread:  Explorer: How to get folders to appear AFTER files and in alphabetical order

But this is not my first introduction to your style, Al.

I first noticed your posts in the ITPro forum, last month, in this thread:  cmd shell bug in specification for escape character (caret ^)

Nevermind that you eventually got the "Answer" (by default for no replies).  That fellow was actually mostly correct, and his topic was actually interesting to me.  More importantly, he was excited to discuss his "discovery" here.  I had actually spent a couple of hours verifying what he had explained and composing a detailed summary of how it was actually working.  Maybe I slept on it overnight, I don't recall exactly.  But when I returned to post it, I saw what you had said there.  I figured you were just a one-time hit-and-run troller, so I didn't say anything.  But I witheld my post, waiting to see how the OP might respond.  Not surprisingly, he never came back after that unfriendly greeting.  So I never did post my composition there.  Which I had spent a couple hours researching.  And you got the "Answer" for what you said, an argumentative, zero-effort, non-answer.  Instead.

Which is exactly the same thing you did in Mike's two threads.

You will also notice that several diligently composed posts in Mike's thread are now gone.  They were deleted by a moderator, most likely due to your "complaint" here about being tagged "abusive".  In fact, an entire profile's worth of posts are now deleted.  Too bad.

Maybe you will somehow feel pleased by that fact, or possibly you will realize the effect you had, and try to do something differently in the future.

But what's done is done.  Those posts that are gone, they are gone forever.  Too bad.  They represented some genuine effort.  They were good work.

FWIW

ps.  To the moderator who did that:   You can kiss my butt.  You didn't even focus your eyes on those threads to read them.  You don't know your friends from your enemies.  You're an idiot.  Apologize and fix it.

• Edited by Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:36 AM ps
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:59 AM
  • See e-mails in this thread  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/046e7afd-c765-45d3-a310-630f1a06acc1 of the forum's moderators.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Hey, only my email is in that thread! =^)

Ha! Email me at edprice at Microsoft.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:17 AM
    Owner
  • FWIW,

You seem to be blank (your name and picture). Why don't you have a name? I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:18 AM
    Owner
  • ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

• Edited by Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:33 AM for illustration purposes
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:25 AM

Regarding the "Contact Us" -- It's at the bottom of the TechNet Home Page. Also Site Feedback is there where you can "file tickets" or request a task to be performed, such as switching your Live ID email: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms376608.aspx

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:28 AM
    Owner
  • You're busted, Ed.  If you were using MS-IE9, you would see a box.     ; )

Did you kill Mister Red-Box?

Sort of busted. I use both IE9 and IE8. =^)

So any reason why no name and no picture?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:37 AM
    Owner
  • Your observations on how "unfriendly greetings" can turn people away seem particularly heartfelt...  Thank you for your wisdom.  It was especially nice of you to take the time to screengrab your own post for Ed, there.  A post of yours within another post is such a welcome sight.  Kind of reminds me of a math equation.

You do know that if you could just keep yourself, as normal people do, from slinging insults at others (especially officials in charge of allowing you to do what you love to do), your "good work" might actually be appreciated for all time in the Great Microsoft Online Knowledge Base Archives in the Sky[drive], right?  Composing those animated GIFs must be tedious and it's a shame they won't be seen again and again.  But wait, don't I recall you save all your posts as .mht files?   All may not be lost after all.   Or was that ᅠᅠ who did that?  I lose track sometimes.

I feel very sorry for you - clearly something is bothering you terribly in your life.

Your friend,

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:40 AM
  • for illustration purposes

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

Ah, so that I can see the box. So you're using IE9 then?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:41 AM
    Owner
  • His post is already un-abusive, Ed.  See the 1st link I posted above.

It's the post with the +1 vote now.  The one where he's telling Mike off for complaining that VishdaFish totally didn't read his post, and totally didn't try-out his suggestion.  The one that my graphic post (which was marked ProposedAnswer by a moderator) showed exactly how totally abrasively off topic VishadaFish's post was.  Because VishadaFish answered him like a human spambot, among the dozen or so other posts he supplied in that same 15 minute period.

Yes, that's the post that Al Dunbar sided with, that total spambot non-answer, because Al wanted to contradict Mike.  Like the earlier thread of Mike's.

That's the post he's crying about here.

It's no longer marked abusive.  Problem solved.  I'm banned.

So what's new?

Check it out.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:41 AM
  • PS.  MHTs cannot be saved correctly anymore with IE9.  I maintain my archives exclusively with FireFox now, Ed.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Got it. Thanks square box. Checking it out...

You're banned?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:49 AM
    Owner
  • Mister Red-Box is DOA.  You didn't do that?

And no, not the banned-profile type banning.  The cruder, more urgent server-cant-find-that-profile-its-been-deleted kind.

Would you like to see a picture?  I like to post pictures.

• Edited by Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:07 AM Red is dead
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:51 AM
  • Mister Red-Box is DOA.

Poor guy, was he in an accident?  You knew him personally?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:55 AM
  • And no, not the banned-profile type banning.  The cruder, more urgent server-cant-find-that-profile-its-been-deleted kind.

Would you like to see a picture?  I like to post pictures.

There are two kinds? Yes, a picture's worth a thousand words (or at least 10).

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:12 AM
    Owner
  • Picture... ah. What does the other kind look like? Is there a different meassage?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:27 AM
    Owner
  • Oh Ed.  You really must try it.

You get a nice polite well formed screen that says "Your account does not have access to the forums system."

And the tab says "Banned-User".

So refined.

But this thing I got this morning.  It's crude.

You really didn't do it?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:39 AM
  •  

Q:   How to get folders to reside beneath files in Explorer.

A1:  You fix PC's for a living?  Why waste time on a computer that is not broken.

A2:  Hopefully, your client has accepted that he misspoke...

Q:   How to get folders to reside beneath files in Libraries.  It definitely can be done in Explorer.

A3:  Because of the Win32 Hierarchical structure files cannot be atop folders.  Only folders then files...

A4:  (3 paragraphs of scolding, defending A3)

Ok Ed.  I see you visited one of those threads.

This is the sequence, in chronological order.

Which, if any, of these replies were offered in earnest?

Were any of these what you might call trolling?

PS.  When I archive with FireFox, I get one .HTML file, plus a separate matching Folder (with css and support files) for every web page I save.   One of each.

• Edited by Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:15 PM ps
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:57 PM
  • I can't delete accounts.

Al was a little harsh, but the Asker (OA) usually understood the intentions and didn't get offended. And Al apologized after another user (not the OA) was offended by that last post you included in screenshot (from a separate thread). Was Al trolling?? Meaning that he was picking a fight?

Let's ask him. Al, were you picking a fight? I'd guess no, since you apologized and made it clear that you weren't trying to offend anyone.

Square Box,

Why no name and no picture?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:30 PM
    Owner
  • Square Box (or is it a rectangle?),

Wow, that's a lot of files... an HTML and folder for each thread? That's actually pretty cool. But...

I wouldn't want to do that just because it would take time to manage all those files and folders. Have you noticed that? And you save it all to your desktop?

Do you have to clean house very often?

Why not just access the threads online?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:33 PM
    Owner

• ‌‌‌‌‌‌

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:21 PM
  • ‌‌‌‌‌‌

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Square Box (or is it a rectangle?),

Wow, that's a lot of files... an HTML and folder for each thread? That's actually pretty cool. But...

I wouldn't want to do that just because it would take time to manage all those files and folders. Have you noticed that? And you save it all to your desktop?

Do you have to clean house very often?

Why not just access the threads online?

Thanks!

Mister 1-Box is no longer with us, Ed.

You can continue this discussion with Mister 3-Box for awhile.

Why not just access threads online, you ask?   Often they are censored or deleted beyond recognition, Ed.  That's why.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Okay. But why are they censored or deleted, Mr. 3-Box?

And why are you boxes with no picture instead of a name and picture (some people have chosen to use their drawings or characters that represent them instead of pictures)?

I sometimes edit my posts, but only when I later do more research and come back with another link. If I remove anything or make a drastic change then I leave it in a reply or mention the change somehow. Otherwise I think people might complain that I'm changing too much.

Are you censoring or deleting the posts or is a Moderator? I'm pretty sure those are the only two options, right?

Is it the posts/replies that are getting deleted or an entire thread?

I hope nobody minds that we're having this conversation. The topic seems already closed, so it's just an opportunity to chat. We can move the conversation though if Al wants (since he's the OA here).

Thanks Mr. 3-Box!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:01 PM
    Owner

• ‌‌‌‌‌‌

It's cool to have these images, but they're huge! I'll try shrinking so that you can see what I'm replying to...

Mr. 3-Box,

Yeah, I can see that both Al and Mike were agressive right off the bat there. Mike was pretty agressive, demanding no answer unless it's the right one. Realistically, it usually takes a ton of questions and answers to get enough context to actually answer a question, so I can understand if someone was offended when reading that. For me, I think Mike had good intentions (didn't want to waste anyone's time).

Then, yes, Al also responded agressively. I can see how that could be offensive. I believe (in that thread) that Al's response did not actually offend Mike, and he took it in stride (which is great). And they seemingly had a comfortable conversation after that. So even when people come across like they're mad, it's valuable to assume good intentions and just face the facts. They both seemed to have done a good job at that.

So I'd actually call it a success of two personalities that could conflict but still managed to get along.

EDIT: I found the link to this thread. Check it out so that you can see how Mike and Al went on to have a normal, gentle conversation: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/41cee6c3-ef36-4849-8b3f-f74c15693cf9

Sure, there's a little bit of heat here on the forums, but I don't think we need to turn it into a soap opera. =^)

Thanks 3-Box!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:13 PM
    Owner
  • Well, can you see Mister Red-Box's posts in Mike's threads, for example?  What do you see there?

Maybe you can review Mister Red-Box's history and determine what triggered that fit last night.

Or likewise what exactly triggered Mister 1-Box's profile to get nuked only a short while ago.

But coming back to the topic of this thread, I posted excerpts from each of Mike's threads above.

Have you any comments about them?

I can't see any two ways to interpret what I see there.

We crossed posts.

Actually, I felt that Mike actually already knew the answers to his questions before he posted them, and wanted to reveal his insights to us.  I'd dissect his OP's to justify that guess, but there's really no point.  The important thing was, he wanted to talk geek, here on a MS forum.  If you are able to see my posts there (the links are in my earliest post above), then you'll see my replies.  Judge for yourself.

In any case, I think the other participants treated him badly.  They were posting for the sake of posting, or something.  But for sure, they weren't talking to Mike or answering his questions.  Maybe talking at Mike, and contradicting his topic is an accurate summary.

Anyway, that kind of thing happens here in these forums just way to much, Ed.

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:24 PM
  • ‌‌‌‌‌‌

Mr. 3-Box,

This one I also noticed (thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/58a009d3-2ea2-4094-86a8-e46141cf53fe). This is the one where things blew up a little. The other thread seemed to be amiable.

So from one perspective, Mike seemed slightly demanding in the question and very offensive/attacking when someone answered against his rules. As Al mentions here, he's afraid that Vishdafish will be burnt from the forums and leave because of this experience, which is sad, especially because Vishdafish seemed to have been trying to help and seemed to have had good intentions. So Al lashed out against Mike in a manner that was similarly aggressive (you could argue that it was no more agressive than Mike's response).

Now let's flip perspectives. Vishdafish wasn't reading Mike's post, and I could see how that can be frustrating because it would waste both their time. Then Al jumps in and chastises Mike. There was another person in that forum who then chastised Al for chastising Mike (for chastising Vishdafish). It's the circle of life/chastisement. =^)

But there were two glorious things that happened in that thread (again, see link above; thanks for dropping the link as 1-Box):

• GLORIOUS THING #1: Mike didn't respond. He could have kept the circle of life/chastisment going, but he decided not to. Good man.

• GLORIOUS THING #2: After person #4 (who's gone now) chastised Al, Al apologized and explained that he didn't mean to offend (which is very easy to do in written form like this). Al also could have edited his post and wiped it off the face of the earth. He decided to keep it so that people weren't confused or agitated. Also a good man.

So, once again, there was heat, but... success!

And... I just came to the gigantic realization that no one answered Mike's question yet, so I dropped another response in there.

Sorry Mike that we hijacked your thread!

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:30 PM
    Owner
  • Well, can you see Mister Red-Box's posts in Mike's threads, for example?  What do you see there?

Maybe you can review Mister Red-Box's history and determine what triggered that fit last night.

Or likewise what exactly triggered Mister 1-Box's profile to get nuked only a short while ago.

But coming back to the topic of this thread, I posted excerpts from each of Mike's threads above.

Have you any comments about them?

I can't see any two ways to interpret what I see there.

I responded in detail to the two threads in two other posts (the ones with your images in them so you can see which threads I was responding to).

So, 3-Box, you're obviously 1-Box, right? Then you must be this other Red-Box that you mentioned too, right? Earlier you said, "I am banned" after this Red-Box got deleted, right? So that's you then, right?

So why are your answers censored or deleted, Mr. 3-Box? Why are your accounts being deleted?

Why are you using so many different accounts (some with different names)? Are you pretending to be different people? Are you voting for your answers or anything like that? (My guess is that your goal is not to get Recognition Points or Achievement Medals by doing this, or else you'd be doing it prolifically.)

And why is your name boxes with no picture instead of a person's name and a picture (some people have chosen to use their drawings or characters that represent them instead of pictures)?

Are you censoring or deleting the posts or is a Moderator? I'm pretty sure those are the only two options, right?

Is it the posts/replies that are getting deleted or an entire thread?

Why are these being deleted? There are many people on these forums that never have anything deleted (by themselves or by moderators).

Thanks Mr. 3-Box!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:45 PM
    Owner
  • We crossed posts.

Actually, I felt that Mike actually already knew the answers to his questions before he posted them, and wanted to reveal his insights to us.  I'd dissect his OP's to justify that guess, but there's really no point.  The important thing was, he wanted to talk geek, here on a MS forum.  If you are able to see my posts there (the links are in my earliest post above), then you'll see my replies.  Judge for yourself.

In any case, I think the other participants treated him badly.  They were posting for the sake of posting, or something.  But for sure, they weren't talking to Mike or answering his questions.  Maybe talking at Mike, and contradicting his topic is an accurate summary.

Anyway, that kind of thing happens here in these forums just way to much, Ed.

Ah.

3-Box, if that's the case (that Mike already knew the answers), I'd recommend to Mike and everyone to open a Discussion topic instead and just be clear that you want to talk geek. Otherwise people will be trying to help you, you'll be correcting them, and shenanigans shall ensue. =^)

Thanks 3-Box!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like how you used the dotted line to show when you added something to a post. Nice!

I'm taking a break; I'll be back later. Thanks for being willing to talk to me, Mr. 3-Box. Feel free to email me at edprice. Have a good week!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:57 PM
    Owner
  • crossed posts again.  see above.

Ed, I have to assume you cannot see my posts in either of Mike's threads.  I can repost them here if you'd like.

After Mike stated clearly that he found the Explorer solution, and after I posted images of that solution, Al chastised "Hopefully, your client has accepted that he misspoke..."

C'mon Ed.  What the heck...  No.  Al misspoke.

In the 2nd thread, Vishdafish mumbles something authoritative that is hardly connected to any reality, and follows it with the contradictory suggestion "best to try a 3rd party solution, but I don't advise it."   WTF?  Check a number of his other scattergunned posts from that same time window, Ed.  (I did).  He said practically that same nonsense in them all.  That (authoritative spambot kind of thing) is not an uncommon behavior in these forums, Ed.

Still not relenting on his mistakes in the earlier thread, Al saw an opportunity to hijack the thread into a lecture defending spambot Vishdafish.

That's what happened there, Ed.  Simple as that.  You suggest possibly that lecture was altruistic?  Come now.  Not a chance, Ed.  It is Al's pattern.

btw - you never did say what you thought about this thread.

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:53 PM btw
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Thanks, Ed. It's too bad that the link is not located where the FAQ says it is (every forums page), or, alternately, that the FAQ doesn't say where it is located.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:40 AM
  • No, not looking for a fight.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:44 AM
  • If I were a Moderator here I would long ago have locked this thread.

- Al (the OP) has already marked a post here as an answer

- All that we have had for the past 10-20 posts are slanging matches that get us nowhere.

If it were locked I don't think any of the argumenting parties would bother starting up again. If it's not locked, no doubt they will continue. 

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:22 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:08 AM