Unable to access hotmail account via either Outlook 2010 or android since 36 hours ago

• I access a hotmail account via Outlook 2010 and two android devices.  Suddenly, around 36 hours ago, all of these stopped accessing mails.

Access via Outlook Live works (so the account exists and the password is correct).

I have tried different IMAP / STMP settings in Outlook 2010, and reached a point where the outgoing server (STMP) manages to send a test e-mail successfully.  I cannot get the incoming IMAP server to test succesfully.

The android devices pick up settings automatically and are not working.

According the the MS site, all should be working well.  What else can I try.

Friday, November 18, 2016 3:34 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Accessing Hotmail via android device stopped working around 24 hours ago. (Without me making any changes to the Android device)

I have noticed that when logging into hotmail via a browser the settings Options->Mail->Account->POP and IMAP have changed

Server name:
    Port: 993
    Encryption method: SSL

Server name:
    Port: 587
    Encryption method: TLS

Server name:
    Port: 993
    Encryption method: TLS

Server name:
    Port: 587
    Encryption method: STARTTLS

How can I manually change them back?

Monday, November 21, 2016 8:22 AM
  • I have the same problem.
    Everything worked fine until a few days ago.

I can access OUTLOOK through an Internet Browser on that account without any problem.

POP has always been enabled, and still is.

SMPT.LIVE.COM works fine  (995 SSL) does not work any more on my account

however (995 SSL) still works on my account

Therefor it is an HOTMAIL problem, not a problem.

Monday, November 21, 2016 12:40 PM
  • Same here.  Starting last week (Thursday at about 6:30pm EST), I am no longer able to sync my hotmail account with either my phone (via the Android mail app) or my Outlook 2013 program on my computer.  I am able to get to my mail via just fine.

I have tried to delete my mail account from my phone app and recreate it, but get an error on the recreate step (says "Setup incomplete.  Server not connected due to overload or checkup.").  I can't seem to fine any support for this error.

Is there something I am missing?  Was some new volume/mailbox size threshold implemented that I missed?

Thank in advance for the help.

EDIT: in another forum I was pointed to the following page with instructions to follow after Microsoft updated  It still did not resolve my issues (in Outlook 2013 or my mobile phone), but it might help others.  I will paste it below.

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:15 PM
  • I just spoke with a Microsoft Agent (Carmel S via case number 1363778269).

The short summary is that "there is currently an on-going issue with accessing a Microsoft Account using an email app".  This includes Outlook 2013, mobile apps, and basically everything.  I was told that Microsoft is working on a fix, but no ETA is available.  When I asked if backing out the change was an option, I was told that it was not.

The only workarounds currently, while we are waiting on a fix to be developed and eventually released, is to use the web version of Outlook or to use an "alias".  Information on using an alias can be found:  Note: that the use of an alias requires you do it though  Of course, you can also just switch email accounts.

So I guess it is just a waiting game for all of us impacted.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Colpi Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Have you added an alias in Outlook or on a mobile app?   
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:57 PM
  • FYI - I just got back from vacation and thought I would try to reconnect to my hotmail account one more time.  This time it worked!  Both on my mobile and my desktop Outlook 2013, I am now getting emails again.

So Microsoft seems to have resolved the issue on their end.  I did have to delete and readd my mailbox though (which is consistent with what I was told on another forum).  The instructions for this are below:

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:26 PM
  • I have just tried this. Still doesn't seem to allow the Android mail app to connect.

When setting up the account on the android mail app,  it get stuck with the message "Checking incoming server settings...."

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:17 AM
  • Hmmm, I use Hotmail (Outlook, or whatever it is called now) connector, and No emails have been received today in MS Outlook 2010. Tried to login to Live, and  shows "Opening your mailbox". Progress bar gets quite a way to the right, but then stalls.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:11 PM
  • Hmmm, I use Hotmail (Outlook, or whatever it is called now) connector, and No emails have been received today in MS Outlook 2010. ...
    Had updated local rules two days ago, and Outlook 2010 (Home+Business) successfully synced with Exchange server. Last email received was yesterday pm. One ~ mid-pm (pst) was routed OK via: over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.23143). One just before midnight was routed OK via: *, with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.23143). About 1/3 of those email headers is from X-*-Antispam* and X-Microsoft-Exchange-Diagnostics.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:45 PM
  • ..  shows "Opening your mailbox". Progress bar gets quite a way to the right, but then stalls.
    Aha, owa wants the sufffix:  /?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:02 PM