none
Cannot use firefox here! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Not being able to use this TechNet forum with firefox

a. Makes either the developers of this forum incompetent to create something that works with multiple browsers (yes these days you also have to test the various adblock plugins)

or

b. Makes  it look like Microsoft is frustrating users with other browsers. (Aren't there laws that should prevent this?)

Both are not good to be associated with, so do something and don't try to silently ignore this.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 10:42 PM

All replies

• I don't use FF but as far as I know the latest desktop version should be supported. Might try from another pc for troubleshooting or clear cache.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 11:15 PM
  • I usually use Edge or IE, but tested in Firefox today. I was able to do everything I normally do without problems: post new questions, reply, mark helpful, include code and hyperlinks and images, mark proposed answers. Performance was good. I have FF version 56.0.1 (64-bit).

What specifically are you having problems with, or cannot do?

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:35 PM
  • Same problem when visiting MS Answers site with Firefox today.

The site does not support ciphers that Firefox want to use.

By visiting the site through Fiddler with HTTPS decryption enabled (so it'll decrypt the HTTPS transport then re-encrypt with it's own cert) I can successfully visit the site with Firefox (after adding exception for the site because of that fake cert generated by Fiddler).

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:48 AM
  • Same problem when visiting MS Answers site with Firefox today.

The site does not support ciphers that Firefox want to use.

By visiting the site through Fiddler with HTTPS decryption enabled (so it'll decrypt the HTTPS transport then re-encrypt with it's own cert) I can successfully visit the site with Firefox (after adding exception for the site because of that fake cert generated by Fiddler).

I think answers.microsoft.com has their own support mechanism so might also mention this over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/fdbk_commsite-bug

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:51 PM
  • It might help to ask here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserversecurity

Edit: I have read that Firefox maintains its own certificate store, independent of Windows.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:09 PM
  • I know, just suggesting there could be similar problem for other Firefox visitors here.

Btw, does it work to tell visitors who cannot visit a forum to report on a page on that forum? I mean if I can post there, I can visit there already. :P

There ought to be a different way to report those "cannot visit the forum" problem.

• Edited by cheong00 Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:39 AM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:38 AM
  • There ought to be a different way to report those "cannot visit the forum" problem.

True it can be problematic. First I always like to try a different pc and or browser. If those both fail its generally been my experience here that no one can post and they're already working issue. Sometime (not often enough) they'll report issues here.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/status/

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:37 AM
  • I have had no problems using Firefox on these forums.  Currently at FF 57.0.1
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:19 AM
  • As someone reported earlier, the problem exists only if you've logged in any of the website with Live account already.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:28 AM
  • cheong00,

I only see the error message in the image posted above when my ISP's DNS server is misbehaving.  :)

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:26 AM
  • The problem with FireFox accessing the Answers site seems to be different from the original issue. The OP complained about not being able to use the TechNet forums in Firefox, without explaining further.

I navigated to a TechNet page in Firefox and signed in. Then I opened another instance of Firefox and navigated to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

I saw my Avatar in the upper right, so my Microsoft account was recognized. I appeared to be logged in. At this point I can select either my Windows version or a topic. I selected Windows 10, after which I should see a list of threads. Instead, I was on the spinner about 15 minutes before I gave up. I never got any error message, but I suppose I had the same problem that cheong00 reported, possibly with the certificate.

Next, I closed the Answers window, went to the TechNet page, and signed out. Then I opened another page and navigated to the same url as above. Again I saw my avatar in the upper right, so Firefox remembered my Microsoft account. But when I selected Windows 10, I immediately got the list of threads.

Next I went back to the Windows 10 forum in Answers, but I was unable to open a thread. Again no error, but nothing opened. I went back to the TechNet page and signed out. Then I was able to open threads on the Answers site.

So it appears I can only be authenticated in one or the other, either TechNet (and I assume MSDN) or Microsoft Answers. This might also explain the OP's original problem. The OP might have been authenticated in Answers, and been unable to function in TechNet.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:59 PM
  • That's what I originally thought.

But when you click the circled "i" before the URL, it'll actually show you a certificate. And on the bottom of the third tab, contain a message telling you what actually is going on.

I doubt average users will go this far, and they'll just assume the site is down.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:02 PM
  • I never looked at that before. Now I see that on Answers Firefox encrypts with AES_256_GCM_SHA384. But on TechNet it encrypts with AES_256_CBC_SHA.

Edit: CBC stands for Cipher Block Chaining. I think GCM stands for Galois/Counter Mode.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Perhaps you should seek support from Firefox/Mozilla:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox

On that page you can select "Get community support", and click on the "Ask a question" button.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:46 PM
  • I never looked at that before. Now I see that on Answers Firefox encrypts with AES_256_GCM_SHA384. But on TechNet it encrypts with AES_256_CBC_SHA.

Edit: CBC stands for Cipher Block Chaining. I think GCM stands for Galois/Counter Mode.

FWIW, when I navigate to https://answers.microsoft.com and select a forum FF has no issue displaying the forum contents.  When I check the properties of the secure connection it indicates that it is using  AES_256_GCM_SHA384. 
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:59 PM
  • So it seems that they enforced the rule that if HSTS header is present and any part in SSL setup fails, it'll just fail and you won't be able to override.

Friday, December 15, 2017 1:42 AM
  • RLWA32, in FF try first navigating to a TechNet forum, sign in, then on another FF page navigate to Answers. In my case I seem to be authenticated in Answers, but I cannot access any forum content.

The reverse is also a problem. If I first navigate to Answers and sign in, I cannot view TechNet forums in another FF page. I can authenticate to either TechNet/MSDN or Answers, but not both (like I can in IE).

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:09 AM
  • RLWA32, in FF try first navigating to a TechNet forum, sign in, then on another FF page navigate to Answers. In my case I seem to be authenticated in Answers, but I cannot access any forum content.

The reverse is also a problem. If I first navigate to Answers and sign in, I cannot view TechNet forums in another FF page. I can authenticate to either TechNet/MSDN or Answers, but not both (like I can in IE).

While signed into MSDN I navigate to a Technet forum in a different tab with FF.  The Technet forum shows that I am signed in and displays "RLWA32" at the top of the page. In a third tab I navigate to Answers. Although I can see forum content Answers, on its face, does not show that I am signed on.  So I click on "Sign on" and then it displays my account indicating that I am already signed on.  Very strange.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 3:55 AM