PLANNING TO CONVERT TO SUNSET IN EARLY JANUARY RRS feed

• Question

• This is a general question for Dick Watson, Cal Learner or anyone who cares to share their experiences. I currently am running Microsoft Money 2007 Premium and have been since the fall of 2006. I have the "hard copy" disk that came with my retail copy. I have extensive data backup file supporting all my activity with Money going back to September, 1995. Prior to 2006, I had updated Money each year to the latest version. I have always entered all my transactions, (ie) credit card, bank checks, investments, budget data, etc. MANUALLY. The only downloads I have used are the stock & fund daily quotes which are currently reported automatically and will stop at the end of January. I am basically VERY happy with the product. I have downloaded the Sunset program and have decided to upgrade from Money 2007 Premium to Money Sunset shortly after January 1st. I am currently on Vista and do not expect to acquire a new computer until 2012.

Now for my question. To those who have actually updated to Sunset or who have been testing it, My assumption is that this update should go smoothly. The only thing I am expecting to lose is the automatic stock & fund updates. I realize the possibility exists for using these scripts program, but I will deal with that AFTER I am up and running with Sunset. Are there any other surprises I need to be aware of? It sounds like Microsoft did a fairly good job in developing Sunset for those of us who have "kept up" with Microsoft Money thru the years. One last question. Do I need to "turn off" ANY of the settings I have in Money 2007 BEFORE I convert to Money Sunset, or will the Money Sunset program automatically adjust the settings to work with the new product? Thanks, Steve

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:33 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys for your comments. I will continue to follow this forum and let you know how Sunset is working for me after installation in early January. Steve
    Stephen J Cohen
    • Marked as answer by Money user Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:13 PM
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• From your description, I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems going to M+ Sunset. I have Sunset on one machine and a license of M+ purchased at the deadline on two others. No issues seen with Sunset. Likewise my upgrade way back when from M07 to M+ was seamless. Aside from lack of quotes you'll probably be hard pressed to find a difference.

As always have a falback plan or two Just In Case. Sometimes strange s*** happens.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Hi.

I have a similar scenario (currently using Deluxe 2007) and I was wondering what will happen when I have a new computer and need to migrate the M+ file. Should I run the Sunset installer and that's it? I mean, once I do the upgrade process will I ever need the 2007's installation media?

Thanks!

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Hi.

I have a similar scenario (currently using Deluxe 2007) and I was wondering what will happen when I have a new computer and need to migrate the M+ file. Should I run the Sunset installer and that's it? I mean, once I do the upgrade process will I ever need the 2007's installation media?

You should not need the Money 2007 media thereafter. You might want to keep two copies of the Sunset installer.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Thanks guys for your comments. I will continue to follow this forum and let you know how Sunset is working for me after installation in early January. Steve
    Stephen J Cohen
    • Marked as answer by Money user Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:13 PM
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I didn't expect to reply back so soon but I wanted to comment on a test I did. I wanted to see how my Money 2007 program would act in the 2011 enviornment. I changed the "clock" on my computer to January 4, 2011 and then opened Money. A screen popped up warning me that online activities would end in 27 days and offerring me a link to what I assume would have been Money Sunset. I chose not to do that now but I am happy if Microsoft has set this default to show up in January, 2011. My main purpose of this test was to see if the tax projection program would update to the new year. IT DOES! The 2010 numbers replaced the 2009 numbers and the 2011 projections look like they're ready to go. I did not test this yet, but since I have used the Money tax estimator for many years to check up on my current year Federal tax projections it was good to see this all there. Now I realize this was all with using Money 2007 and NOT with using the new Money Sunset, but I assume Sunset should work the same way. Anyone who has tested this tax reporting function? I'd be interested in hearing your comments. Thanks, Steve
    Stephen J Cohen
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I just wanted to report on my experience with Money Plus Deluxe, Sunset Edition which I installed at the begining of January. Absolutely NO problems with the conversion from my Money 2007 Premium which I had been using since September, 2006. I found the new program to work similar to the old, as expected. The only change for me was and is manually entering into Money Portfolio Manager ten stock and mutual fund daily prices + one bond price that I had been doing manually before anyway. I've established a procedure which works well for me and I accomplish this task in less than five minutes each night. If I miss a night, no problem, I can get the history information easily off the internet and post it manually whenever I need to. I print out my Fidelity portfolio report which contains all my investments and then post the prices one by one into Money. I realize this would not work for someone who has a large number of accounts and investments, but I try to keep my retirement financial activities straightforward and simple. If someday Cal or the folks at PocketSense came up with a simple non technical way to automate this process I would certainly look at it. Right now I am very happy to be able to continue to use Money and all its  features which help me manage my finances in retirement. In combination with the Fidelity Investments website I feel very confident that I can enjoy using Money Plus Deluxe, Sunset Edition for many years.

As Dick, Cal and others have continually said, be sure to have back-ups for your data and save the Money Sunset installation program download to a USB flash drive and also burn it to a CD for future use on a new computer if necessary. Good luck to anyone still struggling to convert or to move to Quicken. Steve

P.S. It would be interesting to know how long time Money users are going to handle their financial information in February and beyond. Let us know what version of Money you are or will be using and what if any changes you expect to deal with in the future.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:26 AM
  • I am LONG time Money User. I began using Money in 1994 when a salesman at Radio Shack showed me how it would balance my checkbook. I got so excited that I actually went out and bought my first computer JUST to use MS Money that very day. I have purchased every version of Money since that time.

I have been planning to switch to Quicken for over a year now as I thought it was my only choice, but just keep putting it off. Finally, this weekend I decided it was time to buy it. HOWEVER, I use the Cash Flow Forecaster as my MAJOR Planner, so after reading all the complaints about the forecaster in Quicken (among other complaints), I decided to tryout the PocketSense application to update my accounts in Money. I thought it might be too technical, but I figured it out by following the directions I found online at http://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/p2.

I downloaded Money Sunset thinking I could have both versions on my laptop, but Sunset changed my Money Plus to Sunset. Therefore, I just went ahead and spent the entire day yesterday adding my accounts to the Sites.dat & Setup.py and troubleshooting the downloads. I have almost ALL of my 22 currently used accounts downloading into Money now with a couple of clicks using the Getdata.py file in PocketSense.  I have the following banks working well with PocketSense: Citigroup, Chase, my Credit Union. I also have Discovercard and Sears working OK, but with a glitch. (see below)

Some issues I have:

1) I have to manually download my Barclaycard as a QFX, so I purchased a program that converted QFX files to QIF and I will import that account every few days.  I purchased it for $20 (Bank to QIF). There was probably a free way, but this program is working well.

2) I have one of my Sears accounts working through the Getdata.py file, but not the other.

3) When I use the Getdata.py in PocketSense, I have to click OK in MS Money about 20 times after each account says Import Complete (minor inconvenience).

4) My Discovercard won't work when I use Getdata.py, but it will work from the Setup.py when I click test account and send to money.  It also downloaded the same transactions two days in a row. Hmmm... I read something about that....I will continue to research this.

I am pretty happy though that I can keep using MS Money!!!!   Actually relieved might be a better word.

Sharon

Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Sharon,

Regarding your QFX files, you really don't need to convert them to QIF as they are basically OFX files.  If you download QFX files from your financial institution's website, you can import them directly into Money [File->Import->Downloaded Statement...    (you may have to click on type: ALL FILES to see the file)].     See http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/will-qfx-files-dominate-over-ofx/ for more on this.

Regarding your Discover download, sounds like you should delete the account (Sears) that isn't working for now, as that is probably preventing the scripts from getting to the Discover loop.

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:25 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Sharon,

Regarding your QFX files, you really don't need to convert them to QIF as they are basically OFX files.  If you download QFX files from your financial institution's website, you can import them directly into Money [File->Import->Downloaded Statement...    (you may have to click on type: ALL FILES to see the file)].     See http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/will-qfx-files-dominate-over-ofx/ for more on this.

Also see the second post on http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZA/money/thread/220ed237-fa35-4476-bd9b-31851fd77474 for a method to associate qxf files with Money. That way you can just  launch the qfx file and it will find its way to Money.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:25 PM
  • ameridan & Cal,

Thanks...I'll look at both of those websites and see if I can find a fix.

I tried the qfx from Barclaycard again and I can get as far as where I match the download file to my file. But then I get an error message that says the "file that I am attempting to import is invalid or corrupt." I have tried several times with this  download.  So I thought it was a qfx problem. Perhaps it is just that particular bank's download problem. When I go to their website I only have the option to download as "Web Connect Quicken 2004 and above". It saves as a qfx file.

I will see what happens with Discover over the next couple  of days as I have new transactions. I think that I ran into a problem last night because Discover was updating their account info when I finally got to the Getdata.py file. But from the test file in Setup, the files downloaded twice. I see now that it says "scrubbing" so maybe it was just a first time setup issue or something and maybe it will work ok in Getdata.py from now on.

I appreciate your help.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:25 PM
  • After looking at the website you posted about changing the registry, I remembered I had done that previously by runnning a script I found somewhere online. I checked and the registry files are already there.  My qfx files show the Money icon so they are associated with money.

Also I tried downloading qfx from a couple of other banks and they imported ok by just clicking on the downloaded file.  (Actually nothing to import, but I received the Import Complete confirmation.  So it is just the qfx from Barclaycard that are a problem I think. AND this is the credit card I use for daily purchases because they earn points so quickly for free stays at Choice Hotels.  Maybe it is a particular transaction causing the problem in the downloads, but I am guessing it is something the bank is adding to the file.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:00 PM
  • If you see a & in the OFX file, that will cause problems.  If so, change to  &   --OR--  just delete, then SAVE changes and reimport the file.  If this works, you know what scrubber function you'll need to request...
    • Proposed as answer by ameridan Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:09 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:08 PM
  • 3) When I use the Getdata.py in PocketSense, I have to click OK in MS Money about 20 times after each account says Import Complete (minor inconvenience).

It may be that the PTFB application (free first 30 days only) could make those clicks for you. Also, Robert hopes to reduce the clicking by consolodating accounts (even across FIs) into fewer OFX files produced by PocketSense.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:14 PM
  • On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:00:38 +0000, srhodes wrote:

>
    >
    >After looking at the website you posted about changing the registry, I remembered I had done that previously by runnning a script I found somewhere online. I checked and the registry files are already there.  My qfx files show the Money icon so they are associated with money.
    >
    >Also I tried downloading qfx from a couple of other banks and they imported ok by just clicking on the downloaded file.  (Actually nothing to import, but I received the Import Complete confirmation.  So it is just the qfx from Barclaycard that are a problem I think. AND this is the credit card I use for daily purchases because they earn points so quickly for free stays at Choice Hotels.  Maybe it is a particular transaction causing the problem in the downloads, but I am guessing it is something the bank is adding to the file.

I, too, have a problem with qfx files from Barclay (actually my LLBean visa account).  The problem seems to relate to the fact that I have several payees with ampersands (&) in the name (e.g. Bed Bath & Beyond).  Unfortunately, Barclay's does not do anything with thes ampersands.  In order to be imported into Money, the ampersands must be changed to   &  in order to comply with the ofx specification.  This can be done in a variety of ways.

Ron
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Thanks!!!!!   The & WAS the problem. Barnes & Noble and J & S Cafeteria. I tried &amp, but I still got the same error So I changed the  &  to "and" and then it imported correctly.  So good to know.

I also downloaded the PTFB... now to figure out how it works. :)

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Thanks!!!!!   The & WAS the problem. Barnes & Noble and J & S Cafeteria. I tried &amp, but I still got the same error So I changed the  &  to "and" and then it imported correctly.  So good to know.

That should have been the five characters '&' rather than '&amp,'. In other words, you need that semicolon.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 02:51:05 +0000, srhodes wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks!!!!!   The & WAS the problem. Barnes & Noble and J & S Cafeteria. I tried &amp, but I still got the same error So I changed the  &  to "and" and then it imported correctly.  So good to know.
    >
    >I also downloaded the PTFB... now to figure out how it works. :)
    >

It's not  " &amp "  Rather it is " & "  Five characters including a semicolon at the end.  And the letters must be lower case.

Ron
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Question:  How do I know I'm running the Sunset edition?  I deleted MoneyPlus and installed Sunset, yet when I click the About Money tab it indicates I'm still running MPlus.  And I'm still getting dialog boxes that indicate services are about to end.  Since downloads no longer work, I guess I'm running Sunset, but did Microsoft not bother to change any identifying labels on the software?  Thanks. 
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Got it. Thanks! Also got the PTFB to work. Awesome!

One other major issue I had was stopping online services from BOA (I was able to stop using all other online services without Sunset).  I spent about 4 hours on this one problem.  I tried stopping services in my previous Money Plus on another computer and in Sunset and Money would freeze in both programs and so I had to force close Money. I had 3 accounts that were linked to BOA online services, but two accounts were old accounts.  I finally cut and paste all my files from my one current account into a new account (I had about 150 transactions) and tried to delete the blank account. I STILL couldn't delete the blank account because it was tied to online services and the other two accounts. I was told deleting the blank account would also delete the other accounts. So I exported my other two accounts and decided to say YES to delete all 3 accounts and see what happened (I had backup files if all else failed).

I waited about 30 minutes after clicking YES to delete all three accounts and Money stopped responding. I told Money to keep working as it gave me that option. Finally I had to force close after about an hour. BUT... when I opened my Money file.... all online services were gone for BOA AND my three accounts were NOT deleted. GO FIGURE.  I was then able to delete the blank account.

All is good this morning. I think. :)

Monday, January 17, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Question:  How do I know I'm running the Sunset edition?

With Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, the version from Help->About is 17.0.120.3817.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:58 PM