Windows 2003 activation 30 days, WHS activation 120 days, what do I do? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got WHS 120 days trial but now underlying OS (Windows 2003) asks to activate it first since trial for OS is 30 days only. What do I do?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

• Activate it, using the product key you received with the installation media (if you got an eval kit from Microsoft) or that you requested online when you downloaded the eval software from Microsoft. You will have 120 days from installation to determine the suitability of WHS for your purposes, at which point a time bomb built into the OS will progressively disable your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• Activate it, using the product key you received with the installation media (if you got an eval kit from Microsoft) or that you requested online when you downloaded the eval software from Microsoft. You will have 120 days from installation to determine the suitability of WHS for your purposes, at which point a time bomb built into the OS will progressively disable your server.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • So, it's underlying OS time bombs not Home Server application itself? What would happen if I install licensed version of Windows 2003 on a box?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:00 PM
  • You can't install just the WHS bits. You have to install everything.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I meant do in-place upgrade of Win2003 with licensed version of Win2003 while WHS is installed. OS will not time bomb in this config then.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:20 PM
  • No, that will not work.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:36 PM