Entity vs Solution RRS feed

• Question

• I have a request to put together a project for a department that will need their own area on CRM for keeping track of certain customers, phone calls, and documents. What would be the best approach, an entity or a solution?
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• do they need anything that is not on the account, contact, activities? can you extend these native entities to accommodate their needs?

if so, you just need to put them in a Unit and a team

if you put a group oo users in a team and the team in a different unit with the correct roles and privileges, they will only be able to access what is on that unit. the other users from other units will not see their records.

you can also extend functionality to a team/unit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328485.aspx

I Hope I could help. If I have answered please mark as 'Answer'. If was just helpful, please vote. Thanks and happy coding! Bruno Lucas, http://dynamicday.wordpress.com/

Friday, September 26, 2014 3:46 AM
  • If I put all the information for the companies into Accounts, would I then just create forms within Accounts for the department and limit the security of the forms? Or would I create an entity for the department. I guess my only concern with putting the data into Accounts as opposed to a new entity is Accounts ending up with a large amount of fields that I have to hunt for. So what would be the benefit to using Account vs. a new entity? Sorry for the n00b questions.

• Edited by nasyrax Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Using the Accounts entity has several benefits. There's lots of 'hard baked' functionality in CRM that is only available to the Account entity when compared to a custom entity.

A couple of examples;

• You can add marketing lists for accounts
    • The social pane & activities associated views show activities from not just the account but linked via child records such as contacts, opportunities, quotes, orders, invoices

You say you worry about the number of fields, you will only start to hit issues (depending on the type of your fields) when you approach 800. Even so, you can design your way around this by adding additional entities linked to the account to store supplementary data.

..and yes, you would design separate forms for your different departments and restrict them via security roles so each department gets to see information relevant to them.

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Saturday, November 1, 2014 8:59 PM
    Answerer