Cannot log in RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Microsoft Money 2002.

In January 2011 I did a clean install of XP to get rid of a virus.  I last ran Money in December 2010.  Before the clean install I would enter Money through the page that said "Sign in to open your Money file" and then "Welcome Microsoft Passport" and with a cheesy photo of a young couple gazing at a computer monitor top left of the screen.  An old email address of mine was populated in the box that said "sign in name".   In the past I used to leave the password box blank and hit the "work offline" button and I would get through to my Money data.

I have just reloaded Money 2002 after my clean install.  I opened the backup file of my data and I get through to the same page that I used to (with the cheesy couple on it).  My old email address is populated in the "sign in name" box.  However, if I hit the "work offline" button, like I used to, I get a message asking me to enter password.  I have tried a bunch of likely candidates but can't find the right password. If I hit "forgotten your password" I get a webpage unavailable message.  I have tried to reset password on the Microsoft site but it says it does not recognise the sign in name!!

Any ideas as to what I should do please?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:16 PM

All replies

• Write down that old email address now, and write down what you think the password was at the time you were last into your Money file.

Disconnect from the internet (pull the cable or whatever it takes). Open Money 2002, and select to sign in offline using the credentials in effect  the time you were last into your Money file.

If that does not work, check your notes to refresh what the old credentials were. If you have no notes, think about what the old credentials might have been and try again.

After you get in, and if your file is from the US, you could convert to Money Plus Sunset. That would enable you to get rid of that Passport/LiveID on your file. There are some considerations if you are thinking of doing that, so post back.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Thank you very much. I disconnected from the internet and was able to get in OK.  I am in UK not US.

Do I have the option to keep using Money 2002 and would I have to keep disconnecting from the internet to do so?  I do not need to have Money connected to the internet to update prices because I do all of my marking-to-market on Excel based on exported data from Money.  Could I transfer the data to a new account without this password problem?

Thanks again.  I thought I was faced with losing 10 years of data.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Do I have the option to keep using Money 2002 and would I have to keep disconnecting from the internet to do so?  I do not need to have Money connected to the internet to update prices because I do all of my marking-to-market on Excel based on exported data from Money.  Could I transfer the data to a new account without this password problem?

I am glad that you were able to get into your file.

To transfer the data to a new program without the password problem,
    you would need to do QIF export/import.  To do QIF export and
    import, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178830 and
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902464 while they are still around.

This is a lossy process in that some information comes across well
    (transactions, dates, etc) but info like stock symbols, and various
    other info does not.  You would have a very clean file,

You would have the option to import (remember the all-at-once bit)
    into a new file in your current version, or you could do it into a
    different version including a US Sunset version.  You could try the
    QIF export and import to your current version of Money to see if
    the result is preferable to you.  Run both files for a bit.  The
    MRU (most recently used) list at the bottom of the File menu lets
    you switch between files.  Make sure that each version has a unique
    name for the backups.

Money Plus Sunset has some advantages including that it makes
    multiple timestamped versions of backup files.  That avoids the
    problem of something going wrong, and then you backup over your
    only backup file.  Default is 4, but you can change that up to 99.

Regarding the removal of your 2002 file Passport, I think the
    window for that has passed.  :-( I don't know if you can get Money
    to cache the password for you.  You might consider a password
    managememt utility (keepass) to handle the password more easily.
    You may find a quick way to disconnect from the Internet and just
    get used to that.  It does not sound like an appealing process.  I
    am not in position to experiment, so let us know what you find out.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Thanks again.

I have now found that I can put in my password and click on "work offline" and open up my Money file OK, even when connected to the internet

I must admit I don't really understand the whole Passport issue, what exactly is changing and what the implications of the changes will be.  

Is there any reason why I will not be able to continue to open my file in this way or is something going to change that will prevent me from doing so in the future?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Thanks again.

I have now found that I can put in my password and click on "work offline" and open up my Money file OK, even when connected to the internet

I must admit I don't really understand the whole Passport issue, what exactly is changing and what the implications of the changes will be.  

Is there any reason why I will not be able to continue to open my file in this way or is something going to change that will prevent me from doing so in the future?

Thanks for the report. I tried reading the Passport white paper several years ago, but I could not really understand it. I never used Passport on my real Money file. In anticipation of the Passport servers being discontinued, pre-2005 Money went thru a period of giving a warning to remove the Passport while it could be removed. Now the servers are gone or disabled from supplying the Money Passport interface. Now if the servers were really gone, why would disconnecting from the internet make a difference? I don't know.  But some reported that got them into their files. So I know some things about Passport, but reading the observations of users like you is what helps others to deal with the way it is.

Money 2005 and later can remove the Passport (LiveID), even if the server is not present.

I see no reason why you cannot continue to sign on like now. I would keep a copy of your "email address" and Passport password in a safe place. People sometimes forget. You don't actually have to

As a fallback action, you could File->Export each of your accounts into suitably named loose QIF files every 6 months or so. That would let you carry on with any version in case something totally unexpected happened. Keep a copy of that plus a backup file or two on other media in case your hard drive fails. Don't let anything happen to your Money 2002 install disk. Consider offsite backups.

Let us know how it is working out.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:04 PM