The Active Directory Certificate Services service terminated with service-specific error %%-939522285 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my CS on my WHS 2011 stop with the error message above.

I also see an error in the Application Log:

Active Directory Certificate Services did not start: Unable to initialize the database connection for WHS-CA. Error 0xc8000713 (ESE: -1811)

WHS is the name of my server. I only found some references around a missing file but the error message here is different (not telling about a missing file).

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks,

Thomas Pagel

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:45 AM

Answers

• The admin password shouldn't affect the CA; it seems likely that your database has been corrupted somehow.

Do you take regular backups of your server? If so, a restore might be the place to start. You could also take a look at this KB article, to see if it helps, but A) there are no guarantees, and B) you may find that a reinstall is in your future if it doesn't work or causes additional issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, October 29, 2012 6:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• Have you installed anything on your server? Made any configuration changes in the dashboard? Done anything from the server desktop?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Well, for sure did I change something, but nothing "serious"... I have just some add-ons running (Lights-Out, ...) but no local software installed (OK, just the Perfect Disk for HomeServer).

The only thing which might be "serious" is that I changed the admin password some time ago... I'm not sure if that issue started at that moment...

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas Pagel

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:40 PM
  • The admin password shouldn't affect the CA; it seems likely that your database has been corrupted somehow.

Do you take regular backups of your server? If so, a restore might be the place to start. You could also take a look at this KB article, to see if it helps, but A) there are no guarantees, and B) you may find that a reinstall is in your future if it doesn't work or causes additional issues.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, October 29, 2012 6:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:02 PM