Task updated from timesheet approved but not published. Projects plans don't update from the timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have implemented Project Server 2010. We have project managers (20 persons) that use Microsoft project 2010 and Project server 2010, and team members ( 100 persons)  that only use Project server 2010.

We have a problem of different information between the plans in project and the tasks updated in project server. A team member update a  task in the timesheet clicks "send Status" or "Send timesheet" , the project manager approved the tasks in the Approval Center. The line Manager approved the timesheet. But when you open the project plan in the Microsoft project plan this plan doesn't have the last infomation and updates coming from the team members.

We go in the Approval Center and to the "History" , "Approval updates", and some approval are published, other approval are not published. And it's a huge problem to us, because we are working in this tool, 2 months, more than 100 persons, and I have a huge list of no changes update in my projects.

I have one update in "error",  Action "Rejected" says "The update was not applied because it contains invalid data".

And in the other hand, I suppose due to this unlink between project plans and timesheets, the team members suffer continues changes in their timesheets, and in the task updates they have sent, or they don't have the proper assignation to taks, in their timesheets. I have a lot screenshots, but  I don't Know how to put here.

Any Ideas? Any Help? We are living a nightmare with this... is there something wrong in the parametrization?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Carmen

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Carmen,

Once the project manager ACCEPT the task updates sent by the team members, project manager also has to OPEN THE PROJECT PLAN AND PUBLISH - only then the changes will become the part of the project plan.

For now what you can do is, login to the PWA as an Administrator and RE-PUBLISH all the project plans to get over from this stage.

Let me know if this answers your query.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Carmen,

Once the project manager ACCEPT the task updates sent by the team members, project manager also has to OPEN THE PROJECT PLAN AND PUBLISH - only then the changes will become the part of the project plan.

For now what you can do is, login to the PWA as an Administrator and RE-PUBLISH all the project plans to get over from this stage.

Let me know if this answers your query.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Carmen,

Khurram is absolutely correct - changes are only displayed if they are published. I only want to add a second possibilty to publish your projects: If you select unpublished lines in History - Approval updates, you can publish these updates directly from this site. Button for doing so is only available, if you select lines not published so far.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help Khurram and Barbara. I have done the two solutions: publish the project again or go to the list of approval updates and publish. It's working but not in all the cases.

One project manager have done publish the updates, then go to the project and published again, and still don't have the changes coming from the team members.

In the other hand, I have task in my project that are not correctly shown in my timesheet, I have checked that I'm "commited" for my project, the task is automatically scheduled, says "published : Yes", the data is correct, etc... It seems like the microsoft project 2010 and the project server sometimes doesn't share the information

We implemented project server 2010 directly in June, and from them we have update any patches.

we strongly appreciate your help. Thanks a lot again.

Carmen

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi

I am experiencing something similar in 2013. Resources send updates, managers approve, and managers open and publish the plans,  but nothings changes in the project plans and I cant se why? 

What else could it be, some trouble with the queue, that the updates never get there?

I am getting desperate.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:34 PM
  • We're experiencing the same with Project Server 2013 SP1. Most updates work fine, but some, only very few status updates get approved but not added to the schedule.

Assignment History page shows no error (update sent, update approved).

Approval Center > Status Update History page shows "'Error" / "The status was not applied because it contains invalid data."

We'll apply the latest CU soon and see whether this fixes it.

Best regards,
    Adrian
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:23 PM
  • Monday, September 19, 2016 4:11 PM