"Volume ID could not be found (0x80070495)" error when trying to restore OS disk RRS feed

• Question

• Just recently my OS disk crashed on my WHS 2011 set-up.  The set-up consists of the following:

- 160GB SATA drive (operating system C: and data D:)

- 400GB IDE drive (client back-up disk)

- 2TB SATA drive (main data disk)

- 2TB SATA drive (server and main data disk back-up)

- IDE DVD-RW drive

The OS disk is unreadable; I attached it to another computer and nothing could be read from it.  I acquired another 160GB disk (the exact make and model as the original) and tried to perform a restore of the OS disk.  I attempted the restore using the original WHS 2011 install disk; everything is fine (i.e. DVD boots, I can select "restore", it finds my most recent back-up) until I start the restore process.  Shortly after the restore starts, I receive the error message "The Volume ID could not be found (0x80070485)". 

I searched on the Internet for the error but found nothing that solved my problem.  I also searched this forum for that error but came up empty.  Can someone help me with this issue?  The only other choice I see is to do a fresh install WHS 2011 on my new hard drive but I will lose all of the settings and add-ons from my original install. 

Could I do a clean install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive and then perform a restore of my old OS from my WHS 2011 back-up drive?

Thanks!

• Edited by oldsports Monday, October 1, 2018 1:49 PM Corrected drive sizes
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:39 PM

All replies

• hi,
    Could I do a clean install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive and then perform a restore of my old OS from my WHS 2011 back-up drive?
    you can try to do it .there is other method you can refer:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fa5b51fa-9e65-4121-b0bf-db5d1a15b620/sbs2008-standard-complete-pc-restore-failed-with-0x80070495?forum=windowsbackup

Monday, September 17, 2018 11:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I tried doing a clean install of WHS 2011 and then performing a restore of the old OS - I got the same "Volume ID" error.

I looked at the link you attached.  There were two solutions I saw.  The first solution seemed extremely complicated and required access to another server machine which I do not have.  The second solution seems more reasonable but it talks about using wbadmin commands to execute the restore.  The commands need to be executed from a Command line which makes me think that I need to run them from a running server (versus the WHS 2011 install DVD).  Could I do a clean install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive, shut down and attach the disk containing the back-up files, start the server with the new installation, go to a Command line and then run a restore?  If I do this, will it perform a restore on top of the OS disk or do I need another disk for the restore?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:13 AM
  • Could I do a clean install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive, shut down and attach the disk containing the back-up files, start the server with the new installation, go to a Command line and then run a restore? 
    yes, you can do it.
    If I do this, will it perform a restore on top of the OS disk or do I need another disk for the restore?
    you can restore os partition to new 160GB disk first, but the data which is in 
    D partition of original crash disk need to restore to other partition or another disk.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks again for the reply.  I did a clean install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive, shut down and reattached my back-up disk.  I re-started the server and checked to see if I could see my back-up disk with File Explorer; I could see the disk and the back-up folder.  I pulled up the Command prompt (run as Admin) and executed the "wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:e:" command (E:/ is the drive letter of my back-up disk).  The command reported that it could not see any files.  I wish I had written down the exact message, but I was a bit frustrated and forgot to do so.  I used File Explorer to look at the contents of the back-up folder; I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like, but there seemed to be plenty of information on it.  I just assumed that somehow the folder was corrupted which might also be the source of my original problem.

Since I had already performed a clean-install of WHS 2011 on my new hard drive, I decided to start fresh and set everything up manually.  Fortunately, Windows Update still works for WHS 2011 so I was able to install system updates.  I am back up and running but with a lot more hassle than I expected.  I thought one of the main bonuses of the server was to be able to recover from a disaster like I had.  Maybe my back-up disk got corrupted so the process did not work as designed, but I was not happy about having to start over.  At least I did not lose any data.  I now need to think about a Plan B for recovering my OS disk if this happens again.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:04 PM
  • You are welcome, yes, if everything is ok ,you need to do backup for your server .
    you can refer this do server backup 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hXCHxRg67Q&gl=SG&hl=en-GB

BEST REGARDS
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to
    mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Andy,

Thanks so much for your replies! 

I have been backing up my server from Day 1 just like your video shows with one exception; the video used an external hard drive for the back-up while I have been using an internal hard drive mounted in the server box.  I suppose that an external drive provides a little more protection from a catastrophic server failure (i.e. the server gets fried and all of the internal components are rendered useless).  In any event, it was the internal back-up drive I was trying to use to recover my server when my OS disk failed.  I don't see that being the cause of the failed restore attempts unless the restore process expects the back-up disk to be external.

Just to be on the safe side, I am going to convert to using an external hard disk for my server OS and data disks.  I'll either put my current back-up disk into a external USB enclosure or buy a new external hard drive and use the internal drive for more data storage.  Right now, my back-up disk is 2TB (I mistakenly said 1TB above), my server OS disk is 160GB (23GB is used) and my data disk is 2TB (1.1TB is used).  If I were to convert my current back-up disk to additional data storage (essentially giving me 4GB of space), is there a rule of thumb as to how large my new external hard drive should be to back up my storage and server OS disks?  I assume that the back-up is some sort of compressed file structure and not an exact replica of the data and OS disks.

One other thought - Since my data and back-up disks are 2GB, could I set up a RAID configuration so that they essentially back up each other and then I could attach a small external USB hard drive to back up my server OS disk?  Of course, this does not save the data in the case of a catastrophic server failure where both of the RAID disks are affected, but the chance of that happening is probably fairly small.  With this said, I have never set up a RAID configuration before and have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to convert to one.

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I think I found the answers to my questions, but feel free to add/correct as necessary.  I searched the forum and this is what I gleaned from what I read:

First, it is possible to set up a RAID configuration for my data drives so that they are automatic back-ups for themselves.  There is also some software called Drivepool that would do something similar.  However, since I don't have experience with either, I am abandoning that idea.

The only requirement for the back-up drive size is that it needs to be larger than the data you are trying to back up.  If the server runs out of space on the back-up drive, it will overwrite existing data.  So, the answer to my question regarding the size of the back-up drive is to determine how many iterations of the back-up I want to keep.  I back up once/day and could be comfortable with having 2-3 back-up instances, so I need to size my back-up drive to be at least 2-3 times the size of my server data.

While researching the information above, I stumbled on a conversation about the amount of data the native WHS 2011 application can back up.  There are two different opinions: a) WHS 2011 can only back up a total of 2TB because of the VHD file structure, and; b) WHS 2011 can back up 2TB PER VOLUME, meaning that if the server is comprised of several hard drives (volumes), it backs up each hard drive in its own VHD file so there is a limitation of 2TB per volume.  Someone even claims that he backed up 2.8TB of server data on a 4TB hard drive because each of his server volumes were less than 2TB.

I am going under the assumption that Opinion B is correct (especially since someone claims to have done it).  Therefore, I plan to turn my 2TB internal back-up hard drive into additional storage and purchase an appropriately sized external hard drive to back up the entire server (160GB OS drive, 400GB Client back-up drive, 2 x 2TB data drives).  At the moment, I have about 1.5TB of data on the server so I'll get a 6 or 8TB external hard drive to allow enough space for 2-3 back-up instances while accounting for data growth on the server.

Does this make sense?  I would definitely value the opinion of those who know more about this than me!

• Edited by oldsports Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:30 PM
  • hi,
    VHD used to have a file size limit of 2TB,that impacted both block and file level based backups.
     It remains the case that WHS 2011 continues to use the VHD format for backup, which has a maximum capacity of 2TB. However, it now appears (contrary to what Microsoft originally stated) as though the Server Backup function can now deal with multiple VHDs, providing the backup drive is big enough.
    you can refer this document:
    https://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/server-backups-in-windows-home-server-2011/

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the article.  Reading through the article, I realized that my assumption about the space needed on the back-up drive is incorrect.  It appears that the first time WHS 2011 backs up a volume, it backs up the entire thing.  Subsequent back-ups are incremental so they take up a much smaller amount of space.  The author described having backed up 610GB on a 1TB back-up drive 38 times (1 initial back-up and 37 incremental back-ups) without running out of space.

Given this, I would say that the 1.5TB of data I have on my server was backed up numerous times on my 2TB back-up disk - I never checked to see how many back-ups were on it.  Of course, they are all gone because I wiped the back-up disk when I clean-installed WHS 2011 to recover from my failed OS drive.  To allow for future data growth, I would probably be OK with an external 4TB back-up disk versus the 6 or 8TB disk I mentioned in my earlier post based on my faulty assumption.  You probably saved me a couple of dollars!

The one thing that did disturb me was the issue the author ran into once the back-up drive got full.  He was alternating between 2 back-up drives; when the first one got full, WHS 2011 deleted the old back-ups and started fresh but when the second one got full, WHS 2011 did not delete the old back-ups and that caused problems.  If that happens, it looks like you have to do some manual work to clear out the drive and reset things.  Hopefully, my 4TB drive will be sufficiently large that I don't run into that issue.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

My mind won't let go of my original problem of not being able to restore my OS from my back-up drive and receiving the "Volume ID" error.  Here is my latest theory.

When WHS 2011 installs, it creates a 60GB partition for the OS and puts the remaining space into the D:/ partition for the server folders.  Thinking about the history of my original server, I know that I initially installed WHS 2011 on my 2TB HD but then I moved the OS to the smaller 160GB HD so that I could have all of the 2TB available to me for the server files.  I also resized the OS partition from 60GB to 120GB to allow for future growth of applications (i.e. the Serviio music server add-in I eventually installed). 

I did not do all of these changes at once, so in between these changes the server was backing itself up.  This means that the initial full back-up and subsequent incremental back-ups were done when the server was in the single 2TB HD configuration.  After the 160GB HD was introduced, I assume that the server kept doing incremental back-ups as I don't think it would have known to perform a full back-up after the hardware configuration had changed.  If this is true, then maybe the "Volume ID" error I was receiving is because the restore application was expecting to restore on a 2TB HD (the original configuration) but I was trying to restore it on the smaller 160GB HD. 

Is this a plausible theory or am I missing something?

Friday, September 28, 2018 2:50 PM