none
Re: THIS COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT GENUINE - WHY? RRS feed

• Question

• Don't feel too bad.  I am an OEM system builder, a core MS beta tester, etc etc.   A complimentary copy of Vista Ultimate that I received directly from MS just ran this gamut of errors on me tonight.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Darin:

I was able to resolve my issue by visiting the Microsoft Verification site.   Thank you for your prompt reply and concern.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi TheShadow,

Did you resolve your issue? If not, would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.  As well as provide a detailed description of the issue?

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

p.s. I split this post into it's own thread.

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Well, I just got off the phone with "phone support in India". After many repetative clarification questions and my explanation of the issue, the support lady was about to tell me there is a number I can call Monday through Friday from 6AM to 9PM PST that can help me resolve the "THIS COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT GENUINE" message when we got disconnected... I just love outsourcing!!! So I still need this number to correct this problem when I get home from work on Monday evening. It is interesting that the WGA process has run successfully each time I have responded to the pop up messages. What prompts me is this "Windows AERO is not working" and "You may be the victim of software counterfeiting." message box that pops up right after logging on and reaching the desktop. Very, very, very frustraiting. Oh, this is an OEM VISTA ULTIMATE from NewEgg.com.

There is no other indication of the problem, except for the loss of accessing the control panel, my computer\properties and several other administrative sections of Vista. So much for stepping up to the "latest and GREATEST" OS. If I go back and reinstall my XPP I may have already used up the three chances to install it and be completely stuck!!! And life goes on...

As underlined above I need direction to resolving this problem. I have tried the self help but since I can not gain access to areas of Vista to perform these self help suggestions I am quite stuck.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Set your computer to boot from DVD (using the Boot setting in the BIOS), insert the Windows Vista DVD disc and restart. Vista will prompt you for language and keyboard layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation. You want Repair.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:51 PM
  •  

I'm currently reading a whole heap of threads trying to get a handle on my problem.   Anyway, this particular answer, this surely assumes that Vista is the only operating system on the computer and doesn't concern itself if Linux is present.   Am I right in this assertion?   Many of us dual boot, selecting either Linux or Windows and re-installing Windows disrupts other operating systems.   I hope I'm wrong.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Hi Darin:

I was able to resolve my issue by visiting the Microsoft Verification site.   Thank you for your prompt reply and concern.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:03 AM