will we get nodename@homeserver.com? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Now that we can register our homeservers on the homeserver.com domain I was wondering if Microsoft is planning to give us an extra email address linked to the Live ID we used to claim our hostname?

So if I registered name.homeserver.com would I be able to get name@homeserver.com as an email alias on my Live ID.

Cheers,

Danee

Thursday, August 9, 2007 1:52 PM

All replies

• That would be cool, they could just alias it to a hotmail account

Thursday, August 9, 2007 9:55 PM
  • I really don't see a need for it to be honest.

Besides that, to have a Live ID you must have a email address. How would WL Hotmail know which account you want to check when you log in?

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:09 AM
  • Do we -need- it, well no, guess not, but it would be usefull besides it being just cool!

What, for example, if I decide to run a (semi) public website on my homeserver and I want to have an email address people can respond to, but I don't want to advertise my 'real' email address. Also, emails send from my homeserver site would be easily identifiable in my inbox (setting up rules to move it to a specific folder etc.). And an email address looking like the server address would also look more trusthworthy.

There is no issue in how Windows Live would need to know what to check if it's configured as an alias, as I suggested, and furtermore do you think MS couldn't program it so that it could retrieve email from a different account?

Cheers,

Danee

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:00 PM
  •  Danee wrote:
    What, for example, if I decide to run a (semi) public website on my homeserver...
    If you decide to do this, you will almost certainly be in violation of the AUP of your ISP. Some ISPs prohibit servers entirely, others permit them only for use by residents. Wording varies greatly around this, but the general idea is that if you live in the house, you can access services in the house through your Internet connection. Almost none (none that I know of, but I don't spend my nights reading AUPs) permit putting up a server for public use. (That includes, by the way, the gaming servers that online gamers run.)

In addition, WHS doesn't offer a way for the average user to set up a public web site. So an email address, while admittedly cool, isn't going to be all that useful.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Think outside the box.

I -am- allowed to run a server on my connection, just a regular connection anyone in Holland can get and I know there's a lot more providers here that allow it. I know several people around Europe that are also allowed to run servers, so it being prohibited in the country you are from will not make it useless for others.

While WHS itself doesn't offer a way for avarege users to set up a public site, Andrew already gave us Whisst and I'm expecting (hoping) more Add-ins like that will follow. Lets not forget the succes of Homeserver depends on early adopters, Surely you'll agree that this particular usergroup will most likely be knowledgable enough to run a website showing off their new toy, and they will like an emailaddress representing their server!

And think of the marketing value of providing a custom emailaddress not everybody can get!

Cheers,

Danee

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:23 PM