Verifying Restore Capability RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a WHS. It presently serves 4 clients which are a mixture of Vista x86 Home Premium and Ultimate and one that's Vista 64 Ultimate. The Home Premium is a laptop. The clients are all on slightly different hardware platforms (i.e., slightly different chipsets and network adapters). After reading here a bit about restore problems (particularly 64 bit Vista and restore driver problems), I decided to test that I could actally restore each client. I took my restore CD and booted each client from it and stepped through the restore process up to the point where I was warned that I would overwrite a drive. The restore CD found onboard drivers for every client. I never had to load any drivers and it saw the network and SATA devices in every case. Each client was able to locate the WHS, log in and see the past backups.

So am I good to go? I don't need to keep any drivers on hand or anything else in case I need to do a bare metal restore of a client system drive? I can expect to be able to restore the 64-bit Vista from the 32-bit restore CD w/o a problem?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:04 AM

Answers

So am I good to go?
    It looks like it to me. If you need drivers for a 32 bit system, they're in any backup of that system in the folder Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore. You can get to them by opening the backup on any WHS client computer and just copying them to a flash drive. For 64 bit systems, if you have network and storage drivers you don't need to worry about anything else. If you need network or storage drivers, you'll need to extract 32 bit drivers from packages that your hardware vendor will have supplied (on CD, by download, etc.) The exact method of getting the drivers you need is extremely varied; for storage drivers preparing an "F6 floppy" (for use at the "Press F6" prompt in text mode setup) is the best bet. You don't have to use an actual floppy in this case. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by glorp Friday, June 26, 2009 10:50 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

So am I good to go?
    It looks like it to me. If you need drivers for a 32 bit system, they're in any backup of that system in the folder Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore. You can get to them by opening the backup on any WHS client computer and just copying them to a flash drive. For 64 bit systems, if you have network and storage drivers you don't need to worry about anything else. If you need network or storage drivers, you'll need to extract 32 bit drivers from packages that your hardware vendor will have supplied (on CD, by download, etc.) The exact method of getting the drivers you need is extremely varied; for storage drivers preparing an "F6 floppy" (for use at the "Press F6" prompt in text mode setup) is the best bet. You don't have to use an actual floppy in this case. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by glorp Friday, June 26, 2009 10:50 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:04 PM
  • OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Friday, June 26, 2009 10:53 PM