how do I extract one file from an unmountable WHS backup? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS ver 1, all patches and updates. Also attached NAS box with 4x2TB drives.

Recent failure of power source in NAS has led to a myriad of problems, including message 'backup database has errors' .  The simple fixes for backup error do not work, so I will have to dump the entire backup database it seems. I may have to wipe box clean.

I would like to restore a PST file for my desktop first, but every time I try to mount a backup it fails. I can mount backups for other clients.

So my question - is there a utility that will allow me to extract a file from a backup w/o mounting the backup?

Gene

<object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{7AA06DA9-A930-437B-838C-1EDA6AAC2CB6}" /></object>
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:37 PM

All replies

• Try the FAQ section, starting here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:31 AM
  • ... is there a utility that will allow me to extract a file from a backup w/o mounting the backup?

In a word, no. A user reverse engineered the backup database format to an extent several years ago, but as far as I know no tool was ever realeased to read the backup database outside of the Windows Home Server client backup tool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that's what I recalled, but not having been on the forum in a few years I hoped something had changed.

Guess it's time to nuke and reinstall.

<object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{E789DEF9-E5D8-41BC-BF44-9BC168194A6C}" /></object>
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:55 PM