Desktop Sharing and Enterprise License RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello

    It is my understanding that an enterprise cal is required to use the desktop sharing in ocs 2007 R2.

    My question is do I have to license all devices for it if I am only going to use it a few.

    For example I would like to license 6000 users under standard cal.  But only 1000 will actually use the desktop sharing.  For these 1000 can I get the enterprise license or do I need the full 6000.

    Basicly to license the full 6000 for desktop sharing is to costly.

    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:25 PM

All replies

  • Ian, you should double-check with your MSFT account representative, but I believe the answer you'll hear is that you only need the eCAL for users who will use those features. You should be able to mix and match Standard and Enterprise CALs for just the users who need the conferencing functionality.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:38 PM
  • You certainly can mix and match Standard and Enterprise CALs; take a look at Mike Stacy's blog article on this topic:

    Also, the SCAL is sufficient for using Desktop Sharing, but if remote control is going to be used than an ECAL will be needed for those users.

    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:37 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:17 PM