Windows Home Server v1 "could not initialize the ui subsystem" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I'm trying to upgrade my WHS internals but I'm getting a "could not initialize the ui subsystem" error as soon I start to install.

Here's my setup :

- Asus E35M1-I

- 2 GB DDR3-1066

- 6 SATA II Hard Drives

I'm installing WHS from USB and the SATA mode is set to IDE.

Could it be an issue with the board's EFI? Or maybe WHS doesn't natively support the AMD's SATA chipset?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:31 PM

Answers

• I have installed v1 on the same motherboard with no problems.  Usually the "could not initialize the ui subsystem" is from incorrect settings in the BIOS for IDE/ACHI settings.  Double check to ensure you are indeed in IDE mode.  Sometimes the error comes from a bad "burn" so I would recheck the install USB.

Make sure the BIOS is in advanced mode.  Ensure your SATA speed is set to Auto.  Make sure your USB drive is recognized in the boot tab of the BIOS with your other hard drives.  Set your boot drive order to the drive you want WHS v1 installed to.  Save your settings.  As the splash screen comes up and says hit DEL to enter BIOS, hit F8 instead.  This will allow you to override the boot settings and boot from your USB.  Let the system manage subsequent reboots, don't try to override anything except for that initial boot.

Also, how did you get the DVD to your USB?  I used the ISO from Technet and the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool from

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Even though it says it is for Win 7, it will work with the WHS v1 ISO.

You can also download the same tool from

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

by clicking the above link.  Choose save to a location and then install after the download completes.

If you have a DVD and no access to the Technet download, then use a burning program to save the WHS DVD to an ISO file.  Then use the Win7 USB Tool to write it to your USB Thumb Drive.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi all!

I'm trying to upgrade my WHS internals but I'm getting a "could not initialize the ui subsystem" error as soon I start to install.

Here's my setup :

- Asus E35M1-I

- 2 GB DDR3-1066

- 6 SATA II Hard Drives

Could it be an issue with the board's EFI? Or maybe WHS doesn't natively support the AMD's SATA chipset?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Marabyte Monday, January 9, 2012 4:31 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:21 PM

All replies

• I have installed v1 on the same motherboard with no problems.  Usually the "could not initialize the ui subsystem" is from incorrect settings in the BIOS for IDE/ACHI settings.  Double check to ensure you are indeed in IDE mode.  Sometimes the error comes from a bad "burn" so I would recheck the install USB.

Make sure the BIOS is in advanced mode.  Ensure your SATA speed is set to Auto.  Make sure your USB drive is recognized in the boot tab of the BIOS with your other hard drives.  Set your boot drive order to the drive you want WHS v1 installed to.  Save your settings.  As the splash screen comes up and says hit DEL to enter BIOS, hit F8 instead.  This will allow you to override the boot settings and boot from your USB.  Let the system manage subsequent reboots, don't try to override anything except for that initial boot.

Also, how did you get the DVD to your USB?  I used the ISO from Technet and the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool from

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Even though it says it is for Win 7, it will work with the WHS v1 ISO.

You can also download the same tool from

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

by clicking the above link.  Choose save to a location and then install after the download completes.

If you have a DVD and no access to the Technet download, then use a burning program to save the WHS DVD to an ISO file.  Then use the Win7 USB Tool to write it to your USB Thumb Drive.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi all!

Here's my setup :

- Asus E35M1-I

- 2 GB DDR3-1066

- 6 SATA II Hard Drives

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Marabyte Monday, January 9, 2012 4:31 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

The USB drive was to blame. I've created a new bootable USB and worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:31 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by stop error? It tells me that there has been a serious error but I have not been able to find anything more specific than the info I've already posted.
    • Edited by cxv cxvcv Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:57 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:57 AM