none
70-640 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know that MCTS 70-640 is going to be retired on july 31st. what if someone wants to give this exam after july 31st ? will they get as MCTS 70-640 certified ? If certified,Can they give MCSA windows server 2008 certification because it again includes same 70-640 which is included in MCTS ? I want to go with 70-640 first .

Sunday, May 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Answers

• An exam being retired means that it will not be available after the retirement date. You will not be able to sit the exam after it retires. However, if you take it before it retires, the certification that you acquire will still be valid after the exam retires.

This means that if you get the "MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration" by passing 70-640 before it retires, then you will still have that certification after the exam is retired.

However, the retirement date for 70-640 has not been announced. If you take a look at the list of exams in the second tab of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx

you will notice the the retiring or retired exams are marked with asterisks. 70-640 is not marked.

Even when it does retire, if we guide ourselves by other certifications where one or more of the exams have retired, we can see that the retired exams do still count towards the certification if you took them before retirement.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• An exam being retired means that it will not be available after the retirement date. You will not be able to sit the exam after it retires. However, if you take it before it retires, the certification that you acquire will still be valid after the exam retires.

This means that if you get the "MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration" by passing 70-640 before it retires, then you will still have that certification after the exam is retired.

However, the retirement date for 70-640 has not been announced. If you take a look at the list of exams in the second tab of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx

you will notice the the retiring or retired exams are marked with asterisks. 70-640 is not marked.

Even when it does retire, if we guide ourselves by other certifications where one or more of the exams have retired, we can see that the retired exams do still count towards the certification if you took them before retirement.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:17 PM
  • I agree the exam will not be available after its retirement date . I had a live chat with one of microsoft customer service agent where i was told that 70-640 is going to be retired by july 31st and now i see it is not.I don't know why that agent mislead me. When i asked the same question to one of the agent at prometric centre,there i was told that i can even take this exam after its retirement date . Though my question seems odd, but those people made me think about this . Tnx for the info 

Ricky

Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi Ricky,

I don't think that the agent intentionally misled you. Last year Microsoft announce a lot of major changes to the certification program. At they same time they announced that many of the older "style" (MCTS, MCITP, etc.) exams would retire. I cannot speak to the 70-640 directly because I am more of a developer than an IT Pro. But, I know that the Visual Studio 2010 exams were scheduled to retire this July. That decision was reversed.

The Prometric center person was incorrect. Once an exam is retired you should not be able to schedule that exam or actually take the exam.  Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:28 AM