none
How to get Intellisense to pickup modules? RRS feed

• Question

• So basically the question is in the title. Right now I'm using modules-ts (with clang) and I was able to get the compiling, linking and debugging working nicely with Visual Studio, now I just want to get intellisense to work with modules.

Does anyone know how to get intellisense to pickup from modules? Do I have to write an extension?

Thanks

• Moved by Baron Bi Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:25 AM Not about c++ development
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 2:42 AM

All replies

• Modules are still classed as experimental so I'm not sure if the intellisense supports it yet. Unfortunately I would assume that full intellisense support will appear when it is no longer experimental.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:29 AM
  • After a bit of playing though it seems like Visual Studio 2017 update 5 will accept the modules stuff when you consume a module. Update 5 is still in preview though.

IntelliSense doesn't work when you produce a module though and it isn't even enabled for the module files (.ixx) themselves. So things aren't complete yet.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:57 AM
  • I'm using .cppm files for modules. There must be a way to tell intellisense to look into certain files? I suppose I could hookup clang-complete to Visual Studio and then write an extension that lets it interface with the Visual Studo intellisense dropdown box.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Modules are still classed as experimental so I'm not sure if the intellisense supports it yet. Unfortunately I would assume that full intellisense support will appear when it is no longer experimental.

I already know this stuff will all just work when modules are part of the standard, not looking to wait that long haha.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Hi Warvstar1,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ code issues with Microsoft products. For your case, I suggest you post on these pages below.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

http://clang.llvm.org/

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:31 AM