Training materials for 70-290 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am new to this forum and wonder if I could ask a question re the Microsoft training guide for 70-290 by Dan Holme and Orin Thomas. Some time ago, prior to starting my studies for 70-290, I purchased this book, but the copy I got was the First Edition (published in 2004). I have since learned that a Second Edition was published in 2006.

I am wondering whether it is worth my buying this second edition. As well as the first edition guide I have also been studying 'Mastering Windows Server 2003' by Minasi, as well as many online resources such as TechNet, and also working hands-on with Windows Server 2003 via my virtual machine lab. Thus I feel it may not really be worth me buying this second edition.

Can anyone advise me what the differences are between the two editions ? One difference I have heard about is that WSUS 3.0 is covered rather than SUS, but I have no knowledge of what other differences there are. Are the differences huge or just minor ?

Also where can I get a detailed up to date description of the material covered by the 70-290 exam?

I have checked :-
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-290.aspx

but this doesn't seem to be that detailed, eg version of SUS/WSUS is not even mentioned. Is this the most detailed information that Microsoft publish on the exam syllabus ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

This is the most up to date list of training materials.
    Given the age of the MCSE core exams, I wouldn't expect new formal materials.
    I've been using the Self paced training kits and these are (in my humble opinion) sufficient for studying the theory.

Good luck
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Monday, September 22, 2008 6:47 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:41 PM
  • The second edition would be more inline with the current version of the exam, however for the most part it would most likely be sufficient to cover the objectives thoroughly. You may want to purchase a practice exam from a some place like selftestsoftware.com measureup.com examforce.com and others as well.
    Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Monday, September 22, 2008 6:46 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 6:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Simon,

This is the most up to date list of training materials.
    Given the age of the MCSE core exams, I wouldn't expect new formal materials.
    I've been using the Self paced training kits and these are (in my humble opinion) sufficient for studying the theory.

Good luck
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Monday, September 22, 2008 6:47 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hi thanks for reply. I just wondered whether there was much difference between the 1st and 2nd editions of the MS Self-Paced Training guides. As I already have the 1st edition for 70-290, I wonder if I should also look at the 2nd edition for 70-290 as part of my exam prep. What editions did you use ?

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:46 PM
  • The second edition would be more inline with the current version of the exam, however for the most part it would most likely be sufficient to cover the objectives thoroughly. You may want to purchase a practice exam from a some place like selftestsoftware.com measureup.com examforce.com and others as well.
    Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Monday, September 22, 2008 6:46 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 6:46 PM
    Answerer