VB..net application slow performance on newly setup computers comparing to existing computers RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on a project using Visual Studio 2015 along with vb.net and MySql. I deployed my application using ClickOnce to my company server then installed on all the computers in my company. It is working fine. Recently, i have it installed on three new computers which has the exact same os and specs with the existing computers, however, the application installed on the three new computers showed a very significant difference in performance comparing to the existing computers, it is much slower in the new computers.

I have checked through

1. the networks
    2. the connection to MySql database
    3. the memory it consumes
    4. the .net framework version
    5. the installed application version

but it is all exactly the same with the existing computers. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause? Or anyway to troubleshoot this problem?

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:05 PM

All replies

• Try first simple another program on your program which runs already on the other 3. If that goes faster on yours, then it is not your program. 

Be aware that you did not mention much more influencing things as for instance the virus scanner and other running services on the other computers. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:39 PM
  • Recently, i have it installed on three new computers which has the exact same os and specs with the existing computers, however, the application installed on the three new computers showed a very significant difference in performance comparing to the existing computers, it is much slower in the new computers.

Hi Gazevin,

According to your description, you install your project in the computers that have some os and apecs, but their performance is very significant difference. As Cor said, you can run the other project in the different and look if there is still having difference, if yes, the computer's hardware may have some influence.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:55 AM
  • Hi Cor, 

Thanks for replying.

I tried running a simple program which also involves query. It also appears slow on the new computers.

However, the simple program running very fast and smooth. 

This is because I tried installed on another new computers which also shows the same performance speed as the three new computers. I've checked the running services on the other computers, the new computers have lesser services running.

I wonder is it possible that the vb.net application takes time to adapt to the new computers? Or is there any prerequisite software or anything that i have to install (excluding MySql Connector, Framework) before I install my vb.net application? 

Warm Regards,

Gavin

• Edited by Gazevin Saturday, July 22, 2017 1:21 PM
    Saturday, July 22, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi Cherry,

Thank you for replying.

I have tried Cor suggestion, and it is still shows different performance on both new and old computers which the simple program performed faster in the old computer. I even had my Vb.net application. Installed on another new computer, it also shows the same slow performance as the previous three new computers. Do you have any suggestion that I can do to investigate it further? This is because the vb.net application that i developed will have some effects on my clients' working performance.

Kind Regards,

Gavin

Saturday, July 22, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Yea but then it is not a VB question. There seems something different on the new ones and yours. 

We cannot look though your eyes so help is very difficult to give. If you cannot do it yourself then you need an OS expert to look at that. 

Success
    Cor

Saturday, July 22, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Ok.

So, i can safely excluding the vb.net application as the source of this issue?

Thank you for helping. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Gavin

Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Ok.

So, i can safely excluding the vb.net application as the source of this issue?

Thank you for helping. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Gavin

Bad O/S install possibly is the root of the slowness, particularly if O/S was preinstalled?
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Yup, the O/S was preinstalled. I will try to get help from my company IT support. As my position in the company is electronic engineer/programmer, I do not have the authority to access more and the issue.

It is just keeps me wondering why it only affects on the new computers though not to mention 4 of the new computers. 

Thanks for helping.

Warm Regards,

Gavin

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Monday, July 24, 2017 9:55 AM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 3:17 PM