Moving HD from internal to external RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS with two internal drives. I want to move one of them (not the system drive) to an external case and replace it with a larger internal drive.  Is this just a case of removing the internal drive through the console, plugging it into the external usb case and adding it again (and then adding the new internal drive as usual)? Anything to watch out for?

I'm in the process of cleaning up backups to check whether I have enough space on the single disk for all the data - but obviously I'll lose folder duplication when I remove the other one. Is there a way around this?

Can I add the new drive in an external case first and then swap the two drives over?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:32 PM

Answers

• You don't need to add and remove the drive. Turn the server off, take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, connect it to a USB port, and turn the server on again. It should just work, and the drive would change from Internal (SATA) to External (USB) on the storage tab.

You can then add a new internal drive through the console.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:02 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,
    USB attached drives have been proven as a cause of trouble in too many cases to recommend this in the storage pool.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Hi,
    editing failed two times to save my changes, so another posting:
    If you have still an internal port and have the chance, to attach the new disk to it without mounting it with screws to the open case (attention for a safe place to aviod mechanical or electrical damage here!), add the new disk to the storage pool and then remove the older drive from the pool, this would be more seamless for data migration.

Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:21 AM
  • You don't need to add and remove the drive. Turn the server off, take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, connect it to a USB port, and turn the server on again. It should just work, and the drive would change from Internal (SATA) to External (USB) on the storage tab.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:02 AM
    Answerer
  • BulatS [MSFT] said:

You don't need to add and remove the drive. Turn the server off, take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, connect it to a USB port, and turn the server on again. It should just work, and the drive would change from Internal (SATA) to External (USB) on the storage tab.

this is, how it works in an intact world - but the reality is not always that friendly.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:24 AM
  • BulatS [MSFT] said:

You don't need to add and remove the drive. Turn the server off, take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, connect it to a USB port, and turn the server on again. It should just work, and the drive would change from Internal (SATA) to External (USB) on the storage tab.

That's good (at least in theory!) - so then I can try that without having to "remove" the drive through the console.   Unfortunately I screwed up when I bought the case (shuttle K series) and didn't plan ahead - it only has two sata connectors / internal drive bays.... and although the case has the slot, there is no PCI connector...DOH.

I understand that USB drives are not the optimal approach, but it's the only option I have - at least if I can swap the new hard drive to the internal case then I have enough space to not even use the other USB drive for now.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:15 PM
  • quick update - i tried putting the existing drive in the external usb case - no luck as the console shows the drive as missing. The new HD in the external case seems to show up ok. Next attempt is to try and find a sata/ide adapter to get the other new drive inside the case too. 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:24 PM
  • r_c_pattinson said:

quick update - i tried putting the existing drive in the external usb case - no luck as the console shows the drive as missing. The new HD in the external case seems to show up ok. Next attempt is to try and find a sata/ide adapter to get the other new drive inside the case too. 

WHS puts an Identifier on each WHS Formatted drive.   The drive should be detected as being part of the pool regardless of how it is connected.   Powering down the WHS and pulling the drive from the tower and attaching to an external enclosure should not be an issue, provided the OS detects the drive properly.   You may need to let the OS first detect the drive, and bounce the box again before WHS catches it.  

If this doesn't work a bug report should be posted to the MS connect page.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:35 PM