none
Cannot connect to NuGet server on Azure from Visual Studio 2013

Question

• I recently set up a NuGet server on an Azure website for my company, as a place to share packages internally.  The site seems to be working just fine, I can hit it manually through the browser and I can pull packages down just fine in Visual Studio 2013.

I also needed to add some auth, and I tried to use Azure AD (I just manually set up a couple of Microsoft accounts to test).  I was able to set it up easily enough, and when I hit the NuGet server through the browser, it redirects me to a login (as expected) and then I can see the site just fine.  However, when I try to access the NuGet server from within Visual Studio, it prompts me for credentials infinitely.  The is no indicator that anything has gone wrong, other than it doesn't seem to do anything with the credentials I enter.  I couldn't find anything in the win event logs (or anywhere else) to further my investigation.

My suspicion is that Visual Studio doesn't know how to handle the redirect Azure might be throwing at it, but that isn't based on any evidence.  Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Brandon Dasbach,

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, to make this issue clearly, would you mind letting us know more information about this issue?

>>I recently set up a NuGet server on an Azure website for my company.

What is the NuGet Server? How did you create it in your Azure web site?

Is it simliar to the steps in this document?

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/872230/Create-Your-Own-Private-NuGet-Server-in-Windows-Az

>>When I try to access the NuGet server from within Visual Studio, it prompts me for credentials infinitely.

Where did you access the NuGet Server, in Server Explorer window or others? Actually to make sure that whether it is your VS IDE issue or the permission issue, one idea is that you could connect it in other VS machine, if it worked well in other VS IDE, at least, we could know that it is not the permisson issue, but it also has this issue, I doubt that it is not the VS IDE issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015 2:47 AM
  • My apologies for being vague.  With different tech at work, I wasn't sure which forum this question belonged in.

Your assumption was correct about setting up the NuGet server.  I used that very document you linked to get the server up and running.

I accessed the NuGet server through the 'Manage NuGet Packages' dialog.  I set the server up as a source using the settings pane.  Then, I clicked on the source from the left nav, when I was required to enter my credentials.  I'd enter them, and then the dialog would continue to keep popping up.

I've continued digging, and it looks like I can't hit the server through NuGet.exe either (outside of Visual Studio), so it probably isn't a VS issue.  Thanks for your response though!

Wednesday, July 01, 2015 7:11 PM
  • You are welcome, Brandon!

Actually I also doubt that it is not the VS IDE issue, for this issue, maybe I could provide the correct path for you even if I have no the real solution for this issue, if it is related to the NuGet, you could post an issue here:

http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

But if the real issue is related to the Windows Azure like the permission or others, I'm afraid that you would discuss this issue with the Azure members:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?category=windowsazureplatform%2Cazuremarketplace%2Cwindowsazureplatformctp

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 02, 2015 10:27 AM