Alternative WHS 2011 Server Restore without using CD/DVD media RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently removed the DVD Drive from my WHS 2011 server in place of a 5.25 4 bay 2.5 SATA enclosure. I suddenly wondered, if I needed to restore the server partitions i.e. C:/ how would I go about this without using the Restore DVD that comes with WHS 2011?

I already have a Client restore USB but obviously this doesn't cover the server itself. I understand I would be able to restore a backup via the Dashboard for the server, but speaking hypothetically, if the hard drive the server OS was on happened to fail, I wouldn't be able to get to Windows to use the dashboard so would need to be able boot the restore process pre-OS.

What alternative methods can be used. Could I image the installation CD onto a USB stick?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:32 AM

Answers

• Restoring your server is documented in the Windows Home Server online help. What's not said there is that there are tools that should allow you to put your server's installation DVD on a flash drive. They're not supported, but pretty reliable; Microsoft has one and there are a number of tutorials you can find. Once you've done that, it's the same process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by jamesmacwhite Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:03 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Great. Although not "officially" supported, I don't mind. I thought I should be able to image a USB stick with an image of the DVD

I've just used Daemon Tools to make an image of the disc which I then wrote to a USB stick with PowerISO seems Daemon tools didn't seem to be able to write an image to USB.

Just tested it out and it booted fine.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Restoring your server is documented in the Windows Home Server online help. What's not said there is that there are tools that should allow you to put your server's installation DVD on a flash drive. They're not supported, but pretty reliable; Microsoft has one and there are a number of tutorials you can find. Once you've done that, it's the same process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by jamesmacwhite Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:03 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Great. Although not "officially" supported, I don't mind. I thought I should be able to image a USB stick with an image of the DVD

I've just used Daemon Tools to make an image of the disc which I then wrote to a USB stick with PowerISO seems Daemon tools didn't seem to be able to write an image to USB.

Just tested it out and it booted fine.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:56 PM
  • It's also really helpful to just keep a portable USB DVD drive like this one around for utility use when setting up / restoring PCs.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:19 PM
  • True a portable USB DVD drive would be useful, but I always have spare memory sticks lying around which I then store and label (Like recovery USB's), so I don't think it would be worth it.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:09 AM