Use WHS Login page for other custom web pages RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create some custom web pages and add it to the home site and would like to know if it I can use the login page to validate users and instead of it redirecting to the remote/default.aspx page have it redirect to my custom page. I will add a link back to the remote/default.aspx page when the user needs to get to files, but I would really like to use the built in Account setup and control of WHS to validate users to my personal web site hosted on the same machine. If that is not possible, then I wouldn't mind modifying the layout of the remote/default.aspx page to add more tabs and various links to other pages as well as doing some custom branding to make it look more personal. Please let me know if there are instructions for programming with this UI and how much customizations I can do.

Thank you for any assistance with this.

JFrasco
    Jeffrey Frasco
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:52 PM

All replies

• The Windows Home Server remote access web site uses ASP.NET forms based authentication. You'll find a little more detail in the Windows Home Server SDK. I don't think a lot of people have tried to integrate additional pages the way you want to though, so you're likely to have a bit of a "learning experience". :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I would like to create some custom web pages and add it to the home site and would like to know if it I can use the login page to validate users and instead of it redirecting to the remote/default.aspx
    Jeffrey Frasco

On PDC2008 CJ Saretto did a litte demo in one of his session on Windows Home server using URL rewrites with ManagedFusion. You might want to check it out.

I did some testing on this that I reported on this Forum some time ago. Just checking my memory and some notes a made on this subject that might give you some ideas? Also Brendan Grant did an article on his blog on Single Sign-on with Windows Home Server that might interest you.

Have fun,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I have started looking at the Home Server SDK and I hope I can find some way to merge my personal site and the WHS site together seamlessly (I know that is hoping a lot!). I may be overthinking this and maybe the best thing is just create a separate site and just link to it in my page but I just got my server up and running and the creative juices started flowing. Thank you again for you input and I will happily post my experiences with this going forward.

JFrasco

Jeffrey Frasco
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Excellent information! This seems to go right to the heart of what I want to do and I appreciate your input and any addiotional links to development information so I can customize and personalize my site. Thank you again and please feel free to post any additonal links you think would be relevent.

JFrasco
    Jeffrey Frasco
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:05 PM
  • While customizing my landing page, as discussed in this topic, I played around some with simply moving the login controls to my on .aspx page and referencing the code behind from the original login page. I was able to log in without any issue, however from there I ran into issues with the out of the box website using relative URLs and I had put my .aspx page in a different virtual folder. If you created your own web application, referenced the Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.dll (from your bin folder) in the code behind and created your own default.aspx page (the page you are redirected to when you successfully log in) you should be able to use the login mechanism from the out of the box web site.

I haven't looked at the SDK yet, so I am not sure what APIs are available for authorization, but the authentication could be used. Hope this is what you were looking for.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:51 AM