CRM Outlook Client configuration issue RRS feed

• Question

• This error is driving me MAD!. I've gone through similar posts in this forum talking about it but nothing worked.

In a nutshell, our company's CRM is working perfectly from Web interface. Other people have installed and configured the CRM Outlook client successfuly. For me, I've installed it successfuly but when I try to configure it using the same values for Intranet and Extranet address that other people used I get this error:

Client found response content type of 'image/gif', but expected 'text/xml'

The request failed with the error message:
    --
    GIF89a  ?  ???   !?    ,       D ;
    --

Keep in mind that I'm the Administrator of CRM and my Web interface works perfectly too.

The following is an extract from AutoUpdate.log:

Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 :   
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : ========== Starting AutoUpdate Tracing at 02/24/2009 10:20:55 ==========  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Updater invoked with /Background flag set to True  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : AutoUpdateDisabled: False  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Updater invoked with /Q flag set to False  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Discovery Service Uri to be contacted will be http://crm/MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Outlook version being used is 12.0.6316.5000  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Product Code is {539D63C6-4EF4-4B9E-9926-85053F119171} for Upgrade Code {B9D53805-50DD-4898-8B87-1B2891471F5A}  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Information: 0 : Found 0 patches for Product 539d63c6-4ef4-4b9e-9926-85053f119171  
    Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.exe Error: 0 : System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'image/gif', but expected 'text/xml'.  
    The request failed with the error message:  
    --  
    GIF89a  ?  ???   !?    ,       D ;  
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)  
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)  
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Discovery.Proxy.CrmDiscoveryService.Execute(Request Request)  
       at Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.AutoUpdateDriver.RetrieveUpdates()  
       at Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.AutoUpdateDriver.Run()  
       at Microsoft.Crm.Client.AutoUpdate.AutoUpdateDriver.Main() 

System Setup:
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64
    Dynamic CRM 4.0 Professional Edition
    MS Outlook 2007

Any idea why this is happening?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:43 AM

Answers

• a couple of things that I would try:

1.  try uninstalling/reinstalling crm client.  Before you configure, install rollup 3.  This will eliminate any kind of error with auto update.
    2.  If you still have the issues, run the crm client diagnostic tool and click support mode and go to the advanced troubleshooting tab and clear temporary outlook files.
    3.  Looks like your URL is http://crm.  Is this the name of your server, or a host header?  What happens when you try to configure using the name of your server instead? 
    Monday, April 6, 2009 2:04 AM
  • One more thing, are you running business contact manager?  This can cause errors configuring the client.

Monday, April 6, 2009 11:03 AM

All replies

• What is the history with this CRM environment?  Has the CRM Outlook Client worked in the past?

Does the CRM Server name contain any underscore?

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Now that Update Rollup 3 is out, perhaps you could try changing your autoupdate configuration on the CRM server to only contain one entry for Update Rollup 3. That would eliminate the possibility of some strange settings in autoupdate config causing problems.

Kind regards,
      Tomasz
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:41 AM
  • a couple of things that I would try:

1.  try uninstalling/reinstalling crm client.  Before you configure, install rollup 3.  This will eliminate any kind of error with auto update.
    2.  If you still have the issues, run the crm client diagnostic tool and click support mode and go to the advanced troubleshooting tab and clear temporary outlook files.
    3.  Looks like your URL is http://crm.  Is this the name of your server, or a host header?  What happens when you try to configure using the name of your server instead? 
    Monday, April 6, 2009 2:04 AM
  • One more thing, are you running business contact manager?  This can cause errors configuring the client.

Monday, April 6, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Hello, I'm Italian and excuse me if my english is not very well.

I've the same error in a computer in my company, in the other no, in this yes.
    I try the 3 points over ther but nothing.
    When I try diagnostic and support mode tell me this: CRM for outlook in not been configured. RUN the CRM Configuration Wizard and then rerun the CRM Diagnostic.
    I try but give me the same error.
    I dont' know why... I insert the ip address of crm, the url: http://crm.nuvolasoftware.com, but nothing
    Help Me

Pierpaolo
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hello,

Did you ever found the solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:09 AM