none
Remote debugging not hitting breakpoint

Question

• Hi there

I wrote a simple hello world app in C#.
    I want to use remote debugging while it is running on a different machine.
    On the remote machine I am running msvsmon.exe and have configured it for windows authentication
    On my dev box i load the source code into VS2005 and select Tools > "Attach to Process".
    I attach successfully to the remote machine and to the correct process but breakpoints aren't hit on my dev box as expected.

What am i missing?

Thanks

Nicolaas
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hello Nocolaas,

There are a couple of things I could think of that could cause the breakpoints are not get hit:
     1. the symbol file for our module is not loaded (please go to Debug -> Windows -> Modules window and check the symbol file status)
     2. the code type we select is mismatch (please select the right code type we want to debug in the Attach to process dialog box)

Usually, #1 is the cause. There are serveral ways to enable Visual Studio to load the symbol files for our module:
     1. put the symbol files on the symbol server
     2. make a share folder for the remote machine and local machine
     3. copy the symbol file to the local machine and let Visual Studio where it is

You may find this 17mins video is helpful for you. Near the timestamp 10:00min you may find how to solve symbol files with a share folder.

Best regards
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Monday, March 1, 2010 2:05 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Nocolaas,

There are a couple of things I could think of that could cause the breakpoints are not get hit:
     1. the symbol file for our module is not loaded (please go to Debug -> Windows -> Modules window and check the symbol file status)
     2. the code type we select is mismatch (please select the right code type we want to debug in the Attach to process dialog box)

Usually, #1 is the cause. There are serveral ways to enable Visual Studio to load the symbol files for our module:
     1. put the symbol files on the symbol server
     2. make a share folder for the remote machine and local machine
     3. copy the symbol file to the local machine and let Visual Studio where it is

You may find this 17mins video is helpful for you. Near the timestamp 10:00min you may find how to solve symbol files with a share folder.

Best regards
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Monday, March 1, 2010 2:05 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Thanks Roahn
    Copying the symbol file (.pdb) to the remote pc fixed the problem but i also had to make sure i had compiled the .exe in debug mode.
    Thanks for the repsonse. Great help

PS. I dont see the link to the 17min video you refer to?
    Nicolaas
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:48 AM
  • Rohan,

I am assuming that this is the video Nocolaas referred to -

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/msdn/nuggets/nugget/313/visual-studio-2008-remote-debugging-with-msvsmonexe.aspx

Thanks,

Koorma Pramodh

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I am also facing the same issue, even after copying the pdb file in remote machine, still it says "PDB Symbol reader could not be loaded", when I try to load manually it says "matching symbol file was not found in this folder", using VS2017(windows 10) and remote pc(windows 7 pro)

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:36 PM